Social services/OT visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social services/OT visit

Had a home visit yesterday, it seems my house is unfit for me. Basically everything needs to be changed. I've been told I need to move into a property all on one floor. I honestly thought things would need to be changed bit by bit. The reality keeps hitting.......I'm disabled.

How I miss the old me, ive turned into an 80 year old woman overnight while im still in my early 50s and ofcourse hot and sexy till i try and get up and walk πŸ˜‚

It did make me laugh when the social worker asked to see my bedroom, she was baffled by my sunbed tanning machine. Never seen one before 😬

Anyhow thought I'd share me news, now have to get my head around ALS and moving.

SAMMY88 I was told the same. I then asked for another assessment and was told adaptations could be made πŸ™„ They would be very expensive though as well as disruptive. I have been looking for alternative suitable property for months without success. I am still fully mobile but am so afraid of suddenly finding I cannot climb stairs.
    Bulbar onset diagnosed Nov 21. No speech but limbs ok so far.

Comment

SAMMY88 I live in a semi detached house with 4 steps to get to the front door . We were told we could have our bathroom adapted to a wet room and a stair lift and also a some kind of ramp or platform outside for the 4 steps. I know we are all at varying stages and mobility but ask for some advice from services or the reasons why your current home isnt suitable for adaptions. x
      Diagnosed June 2022. Confirmed MND which is currently PLS. Limb onset.

Comment

Hope Hard isn't it. I went for a drive last night looking out for bungalows, there is really a limited amount of bungalows in my area and surrounding areas. No way am I moving into a ground floor flat. Far to noisy , I had a terrible time with noisy neighbours in the past.

Comment

SAMMY88 we did similar looking for bungalows a few months back. there are quite few for sale in our area but the cheapest was over double what our house is valued for! cant afford it. Thinking of you,

Comment

Zante I was told my house isn't suitable due to steps coming into the property. Once in through the front door there's a sharp left to another 2nd door, its sort of like a porch but part of the house. Narrow staircase, small doorways, long Narrow hallways. Living room leads out into garden with more steps. Bathroom to small. Not possible for a through floor lift due to construction of house.

Comment

SAMMY88 am sorry, thats quite a list of reasons isnt it, must be very difficult having to face moving on top of mnd. x

Comment

SAMMY88 I was also told how unsuitable my house was and that I need to move downstairs.

But I have put a ramp in to my front door, put a stairlift in (also no option of through floor lift) and a wetroom upstairs.

I have decided when I am totally immobile and unable to get up and down on the stair lift then I will just stay and live upstairs. I feel safer up there anyway.

I hope you can find some solutions (even if just short term) and give yourself time to fully explore moving. From what I've seen many bungalows are in need of a lot of work too!
                Diagnosis confirmed as atypical ALS Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years misdiagnosed.

Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now widespread. Powerchair user, useless left arm and clumsy right hand but generally positive!

Comment

We moved into a bungalow not long after I was diagnosed and looking back it was one of the best decisions we made around my care. Bungalows by design are often quite small and more suited to retired couples. I was only 46 when I was diagnosed and had a young family so finding a decent size bungalow that not only we could afford, but also had enough room in it for me, was not easy to find. Even with the bungalow steps and driveway access can still be problems.

If you are in a position that you can be choosy it’s also worth thinking about having enough room for a power chair to roll around inside in, space for a ceiling track hoist with a profiling bed and also a bathroom big enough to accommodate a wet room.
                  I know that this is a bit of a list and also not pleasant things to think about, but if you can address some of these concerns now they will pay you dividends in the future.
                  Foxes Never Quit πŸ’™

Comment

TinyLady I dont like the idea of being stuck upstairs. Everyone is different I guess x

JamesW So many bungalows are small and cramp looking. I would love a double bow window one, with neat trees, a wrap around garden. In my neck of the woods that would be at least 1.5 million.

I will definitely be looking for space for a power chair inside. I have 8 grandkids ( became a grandparent in my 30s ) so need a big bungalow x

Comment

SAMMY88 I think it's interesting how different people are. I love the idea of tucking myself away. But I have a busy young household. I don't want to be sat dribbling in the corner while people come and go around me. I want privacy!
                      Diagnosis confirmed as atypical ALS Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years misdiagnosed.

Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now widespread. Powerchair user, useless left arm and clumsy right hand but generally positive!

Comment

TinyLady No ones putting Sammy in the corner πŸ€ͺ . My family is used to seeing me dribbling everytime I see cake.

On a serious note, we just don't know how we will handle things, surely we should be part of things, included. One of my grandkids recently said nanny you should stop drinking, you can barely walk πŸ˜… . I laughed till I thought dam he's gonna remember nanny as a drunk πŸ₯΄.

Comment

I used to tell my work colleagues....there's nothing wrong with my walking really, I just like watching you all make me cups of tea through the dayπŸ˜„

Comment

Originally posted by Olivia H View Post
                            I used to tell my work colleagues....there's nothing wrong with my walking really, I just like watching you all make me cups of tea through the dayπŸ˜„
                            πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

At work my office was near the foot of the staircase (based in an old Victorian 3 storey house) I too got lots of cups of tea throughout the day as everyone had to passed my office to get to the kitchen and always offered me a drink on their way πŸ˜†
                            Started limping 2017, diagnosed August 2021. Wheelchair user and reduced shoulder and hand function. Trying to be positive 😺.

Comment

Working...
                            X