Shoulder pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoulder pain

Can anyone offer any advice please. I am having a lot of right sided shoulder pain. It's at the front of the shoulder and deltoid muscle.

the pain is bad at night now and i can't lie on that side anymore because the shoulder joint is too painful.

reaching for something hurts. Moving the arm upwards and outwards hurts and it feels so tight like it's getting stuck within the muscle.

At this point I am diagnosed with pls so in theory shouldn't have atrophy but I can't tell as not sure what that would look like.

Using a mobile phone holding it the ear is such an effort on my shoulder it shakes and hurts even after a couple of minutes.

So uncomfortable at night it had me in tears last night. Its so tight.

What shall I do? I sleep on a soft memory foam topper so don't have a hard mattress. I phoned physio and she advised me that it might be inflammation if I used it too much and to take pain relief for a few days. She said if its wasting then the shoulder becomes flat so that causes pain as it loses contour but I won't see her until Jan sometime now.

Is this familiar for anyone? I remember reading about shoulder pain before but didn't know if it's isolated to als.

Many thanks.

Diagnosed June 2022. Confirmed MND which is currently PLS. Limb onset.

Zante You really need someone to examine your shoulder, you can't be left in pain and not know why - what about your GP if the Physio can't? Could you have strained your deltoid - is it the arm with which you hold the dog lead?

Are you taking ibuprofen/naproxen and icing or heating the area?

IDK if putting a soft cushion under your upper arm in bed would help.

I hate to think of you in pain, please call someone tomorrow. xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Ellie thanks as always for your help and reply Ellie.

It is my dominant hand arm and I am very right handed so yes use it for lead and phone and carrying anything.

I don't actually recall any strain or trauma at all. It's felt tight and uncomfortable for days. Yesterday whilst on the phone I had to keep putting arm down as it hurt to hold phone with arm up . I feel am getting weaker with anything involving the shoulder.

I will try some pain relief tonight and a soft pillow underneath it. I automatically roll over onto that side at night and it wakes me up in pain.

Physio did say if no better in a few days try and get an appointment with gp to get it looked at. Unfortunately I haven't timed this very well with Xmas!

I assume with spasticity and weakness it's probably quite easy to strain a muscle with everyday activities.

Thanks so much xx

Comment

Originally posted by Zante View Post
        I will try some pain relief tonight
        Really you should take anti inflammories for a few days to give you 24hr pain relief, 2-4x per day depending on the medication, so the muscle gets the chance to mend and/or keep the pain under control. xx

Comment

I have some ibuprofen here so will keep up taking them regularly.

Is shoulder pain a common issue with mnd or something i have done? Xx

Comment

Zante my husband was getting shoulder pain due to the weak muscles in his neck which was causing his head to droop forward a little. He occasionally wears a neck brace( a material one with polystyrene balls in the material) from Orthotics. This has helped. Not sure if that’s a possibility for your shoulder pain. Hope you get it sorted. Nothing worse than a nagging ache. Xx

Comment

Originally posted by Zante View Post
              Is shoulder pain a common issue with mnd or something i have done?
              It might be caused directly by PLS, but it's unusual to have sharp/severe pain in the deltoids, so perhaps it's an injury exacerbated by weakness due to PLS, which is why you should be examined by a professional. xx

Comment

Piglet that makes sense and thank you.

The muscles around the back of neck and shoulders are very tight. And get tired just driving and standing for too long.

But this pain with shoulder I think Ellie you are right and I have strained or injured it somehow due to weakened muscles from pls. The weight of a lightweight umbrella is too much these days and makes my deltoid sore.

I am sure others can relate to finding everyday simple tasks you take for granted , when they become difficult its such a shock and hard to accept before moving on again.

I plan to try and get some wireless headphones or similar because I can't hold my phone to my ear for long without needing to hold arm down. Managed almost 2 mins today.

Thanks For listening and support.
                I read mnd isn't painful as such.... so far numerous broken bones, concussion, frostbite 🥶 and strains.... I think with diagnosis we should receive a prescription for endless bubble wrap for protection 😀 xx

Comment

Hey Zante, I have experienced similar sounding shoulder pain, also always on my dominant side (and unaffected side). My RMT did some serious deep tissue massage and sorted me out. I find it returns when I stubbornly use my cane instead of walker/rollator. I guess I was doing double the strain on my right side to compensate for my weaker left side.
                  I found the massages really helped, and my electric heating pad really helps with any muscle spasticity and strained muscles.

Comment

AngieCanuck hi and thanks Angie. That is interesting that you have suffered similar sounding shoulder pain. Even reaching for something on a shelf hurts?

I do know of a sports massage local therapist which might be an idea if no improvement. Its my dominant side and used a lot but never with anything heavy.

The heating pads I don't know much about so will check forum for which have been mentioned.

Just taken some medication so hoping to sleep.. thanks so much xx

Comment

Zante the electric heating pads have literally been a game changer for me! I have one in every room of the house, lol. It’s a nice source of non medicated relief. I think sometimes it’s hard to know with the upper motor spasticity what is our muscles going into spasm and what is over worked muscle strain compensating for the weakened parts.
                      Recently I have been experiencing various muscles going into hyper extreme spasm (super painful) and my jaw muscles going into spasm. So irritating!

Comment

My husband had alternating shoulder pain, he had steroid injections and anti inflammatories, but nothing worked until the physio showed us how to do arm exercises. His afternoon PA did them religiously 5 days a week and it eased the pain and helped with mobility (albeit we had to move his arms for him) combined with a massage to help drain his lymphatic system as he also suffered with swollen hands and wrists.

This then made personal care so much easier. He went from having virtually no range of movement to his hands being able to touch the back of his head. (with help) and the swelling completely disappeared too.

So the simplest solution was the most effective for him. The biggest advantage was that he was no longer in pain.

Hail the physio !!!
                        Carer for husband diagnosed with ALS April 2021. Hand onset. PEG fed, completely immobile, communicated with eye gaze

Sense of humour intact throughout.

Sadly passed away peacefully 2/9/22

Comment

I have pain below my shoulder blade. It is not constant, does not stop me sleeping and is not painful when sitting. I have no idea if it is muscular or referred pain. I have never been referred to a physio and am reluctant to see my gp as every symptom is just put down to MND.
                          Bulbar onset diagnosed Nov 21. No speech but limbs ok so far.

Comment

Thank you AngieCanuck and MMG and Hope for the replies.
                            I cheated today and asked my neighbour to have a look as she is a retired nurse and sports fanatic and knows everything about the body and muscles! She is pretty certain I have a tear or strain on the deltoid muscle. I must have done this just doing something ordinary but my muscles are so tight and stiff I imagine that makes them easy to injure.

I have been looking online at heating pads. Quite a large choice. Can u only have them plugged in electrically to work or can u charge them to enable u to leave the plug socket area?!

I never thought a muscular strain could be so painful. Washing hair was difficult and really hurt and for a while after. Have pulled leg muscles back in my athletics days but don't remember it feeling this sore.

Anyway Thanks as always for the advice and support. Would feel quite lost without this forum.. xx

Comment

Zante A microwaveable wheat pack will do the job, or a hot water bottle, but I'd worry that you wouldn't tighten the lid securely and scald yourself, sorry 😬 😘

Comment

Working...
                              X