Magnesium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnesium

In the DNA results I have, they show a mutation in the TRPM7 gene that was also found in 23% of MND patients and 0% of non-MND controls in a small study in Guam.

This gene controls magnesium levels, and defects in it have been associated with magnesium deficiency. The mutation is not uncommon, so I am wondering whether magnesium might help alleviate the condition for some. I read that it is not easily absorbed by mouth, and that creams can be applied instead.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this, or whether it seems to offer any benefits?

PaulaF Like many on this forum, I have taken or take, magnesium supplements to alleviate cramps.

I've always taken magnesium glycinate, chelated. I also take vitamin D3 which facilitates Mg absorption to some degree, although that’s not why I take D3.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
      PaulaF Like many on this forum, I have taken or take, magnesium supplements to alleviate cramps.

I've always taken magnesium glycinate, chelated. I also take vitamin D3 which facilitates Mg absorption to some degree, although that’s not why I take D3.
      Thanks, Ellie. I take vitamin D3 as well.

I've read that magnesium can act to inhibit the breakdown of the protective sheaths around the neurons.

Can you feel the difference that the magnesium makes in alleviating the cramping?

Comment

PaulaF I am taking 375mg of magnesium daily and its helped ease some cramps for me.
        I also take a calcium vitamin d prescription drug for unrelated issue.

Would taking more magnesium help with the protective abilities or just cause diarrhea?! X
        Diagnosed June 2022. Confirmed MND. Limb onset. Symptoms started November 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Zante View Post
          PaulaF I am taking 375mg of magnesium daily and its helped ease some cramps for me.
          I also take a calcium vitamin d prescription drug for unrelated issue.

Would taking more magnesium help with the protective abilities or just cause diarrhea?! X
          I don't know. It probably depends on the person and whether they are deficient or have an absorption/genetic issue, which is more common than people realise, but is difficult to assess reliably. The RDA is 270-300 mg a day, although Patrick Holford (Optimum Nutrition Bible) recommended 375-500 mg. I don't know if it's safe to take more than this, especially if it gives you diarrhoea, or if you eat a magnesium-rich diet anyway.

There's not much money to be made from magnesium, so it is under-researched. The evidence looks pretty sparse. One study concluded that supplemental magnesium didn't in general lower the risk of getting MND (although it might do for people with absorption issues?), but I couldn't find any study on whether it slows progression.

If it helps with relieving cramping, great. I already take plenty of other supplements by mouth, so wonder whether the cream would have the same beneficial effect.

Comment

PaulaF the magnesium doesnt give me diarrhoea but I think I read that too much of it in the diet can! The only other supplement I take is vit b12 . x

Comment

I am taking 375mg of magnesium daily
              I also take a calcium vitamin d prescription drug
              Calcium can inhibit the absorption of magnesium so, given that you need to take calcium, make sure to take magnesium in its most bioavailable form. xx

Comment

Originally posted by PaulaF View Post
                Can you feel the difference that the magnesium makes in alleviating the cramping?
                Yes, noticeably.

Comment

Ellie the calcium is called Theical d3. I will have to check on magnesium type but I do know its just off the shelf type from Holland and Barrett x

Comment

Magnesium glycinate is the form that absorbs best. I take some of that and also some of magnesium oxide since it works best for constipation. I also use magnesium cream. Although the cream does seem to help with leg twitches, I don't think enough of it gets absorbed into the system to make a difference in the deficiency.

If you're taking D3 and magnesium, you should also be taking K2 to calcium will end up in your bone and not in your bloodstream. Boron is another element that helps with the magnesium/calcium balance.

Most people take in enough calcium but not enough magnesium. It helps to get your levels measured for a baseline.

I've also used epsom salts as a foot soak.

Even before MND, I found soaking in the ocean made me feel good. I think it had something to do with the abundance of minerals.
                    Last edited by KimB; 11 March 2023, 22:02.
                    Living live on the beach. Dx 2015 ALS (limb onset)

Comment

Am not sure what that means d2 and k2. I need the calcium tablets due to poor bones caused by a previous health condition. Maybe I need to change the type of magnesium if I won't be absorbing it much. X

Comment

Magnesium deficiency is supposed to be hard to assess, as levels can vary between tissues and cells. However, as TRPM7 a magnesium channel gene linked to magnesium deficiency has a common mutation (rs8042919-T, present in 15-20% of people in the UK) that has also been linked to MND, it does seem to be worth taking. Especially if people are saying that it noticeably improves cramping, which shows it is being absorbed and getting through to where needed.

Yes, studies on magnesium creams are sparse and seem to have limited evidence, so perhaps oral supplements are better.

Comment

Honestly, don’t worry about it Zante you’ve been prescribed meds appropriate to your medical needs (vitamin D3 increases calcium absorption more than D2, which is in your theiCal tabs)

Have a look at the magnesium you have and read the label to see what % RDA one tablet gives you, then you can take maybe take more if you're getting less than 100%.

You might have the ‘better’ form of magnesium already if not, finish the magnesium you're on and when the time comes to buy more, then you can change. xx

Comment

Ellie thanks . For some reason the adcal d3 got switched on my prescription to the other theical ones with no explanation. These are quite sherbet like and taste like the dib dabs sweets!!

The magnesium i just checked and is 100% nrv at 375mg and ingredient says magnesium oxide. I just know my cramps seem less pronounced since taking these for months so am sure am getting something from them and not a placebo effect!

Thanks for advice xx

Comment

Am not sure what that means d2 and k2. I need the calcium tablets due to poor bones caused by a previous health condition. Maybe I need to change the type of magnesium if I won't be absorbing it much. X
                              I meant D3. I corrected it.
                              Living live on the beach. Dx 2015 ALS (limb onset)

Comment

Working...
                              X