Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry
    replied
    I can't see any problems using it then but maybe ask GP first.

I am using a cheaper tablet and I had to download SwiftKey that does a good job.
    Love Terry

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi Terry, I think you are right the voice is the one on my tablet,but I could adjust the speed which was good. Yes I have predictive text, I like it, have used it on phone for ages so am used to it. Thanks for advice on nebulizer have just been given one in last couple weeks, have been using it once a day in morning and then cough machine afterwards, but feel I would like to use it before bedtime as its in the night that I wake up with this lump in throat, is it ok to use as and when ? I wasn't given too much info as the nurse is coming to see me tomorrow to check on how I am doing with all the machinery!!! X love Jan Q.

Leave a comment:

• Terry
    replied
    Hi Jan,

It's good to get things out of your throat as well as off your chest.

One thing that we have not talked about recently is a nebuliser. Used with saline, it's great at clearing the nasal passages and helps the throat to.

Thanks for the information on your talking app, I think that it uses the voice that is on your tablet, but I might be wrong.

Does your tablet have a predictive keyboard?

Love Terry

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi Terry sorry this is such a late reply , I use Kindle fire tablet and app is called "text to speech" free app and nice sounding voice, yes I have a speech therapist coming to see me now she is great with all sorts of info in fact she gave me info on apps ,also is now helping with my problem with mucus which wakes me up a lot to have to get rid of it , thanks for input as I have said before so useful to be able to chat and get things off chest. X JAN Q.

Leave a comment:

• Terry
    replied
    Hi Jan;

What device are you using and what app have you downloaded?

Is a speech therapist involved and helping you?

I'm all questions.

Love Terry

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi Terry thanks for your reply, yes I have downloaded an app text to speech and think it will be very useful, my great grandson said it was cool Nanny , it was my way of gently telling him that I may have to talk to him like that soon, he is 11years of age and it must be difficult for him to see me now having been a very active Nanny (an ex landlady) so very busy too and now he sees me like this. Life can be very cruel can't it? I appreciate your feedback since I joined this site I have found it inspiring to say the least. Xxx Jan Q.

Leave a comment:

• Terry
    replied
    Hi Jan,

With your speech deteriorating have you tried any talking machines and do you have contact with a speech therapist.

It is good to try things out and get used to them just in case you need them.

Love Terry

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    John, thank you for your reply, I am. 74 years of age, I have two sons who have family of their own all hard working,so not really in position to accommodate me. I live in sheltered accommodation which is lovely and I have just started to get some private help with my domestic chores. I am not able now to do anything like the normal household chores. I was diagnosed in June this year after a year of looking at what was causing my problems. My worry is that in the last couple months I have deteriorated rapidly cannot stand or walk and because I am on my own will have to have more help at home, speech is failing now too. I just have to arrange more help now I think. That is my problem I have been widow for 11years and very independent it's difficult to accept but am grateful for the support and information from this site and all you lovely people who understand what is happening. Thank you , xxx Jan Q.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Jan,

Not sure about your position. Are you still working? What family do you have ?
    I wondered if you could go and stay with your family for a few days so they see your limitations. May make them realise where you are at how much support you need and will need as the illness progresses. You should be able to get support from your local social services and ought to have a contact there. The help will be means tested so if you have savings or an income you may have to meet some of the cost. Further down the line of your illness you may get continuing health care from the NHS. This is not means tested but as you are coping (with difficulty) it is unlikely that you will yet qualify for their support. Is there no one from your GP 's who is supporting you and helping find solutions for your problems as they arise. Similarly there are volunteers from your nearest mnda support group who could give practical advice on solving your problems.

John

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thank you so much Ellie for your so very positive reply, I have tried to stay positive for the last 6 months but as I am deteriorating rapidly I have lost some of that positive thinking, I will definitely go further now and sort out some help and as you said it would be company too. X Love Jan Q.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Getting in help is a hugely positive step Jan, albeit an acknowledgment you need help , but it'll be enormously helpful to you and remove a bit of stress.
    You can still be in charge & call the shots, that's important. I'm very stubborn and private, but quickly accepted help as it made me a more relaxed and nicer person (less grumpy ) The companionship could benefit you too.

It does get easier to cope, honestly.

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi Miranda. thanks for your reply, I can't do anything much now either just getting ready to go out is tiring, and do find that I have to rest for sometime after to recover, and certainly pacing myself has been necessary for sometime now. I have coped on my own until now but I am not coping very well at the moment. Will have to sort out some help at home very soon. Xx Jan Q.

Leave a comment:

• miranda
    replied
    I don't do much now but just going out and trying to communicate exhausts me. When I was more active, I eventually learned I had to pace myself and allow time to recover. It must be tough to be on your own.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi Ellie, so nice of you to reply and I would love one of my family to spend just enough time with me to see how I am struggling, funny isn't it when they visit it is not for very long so they only see me sitting comfortably and think I am ok. I think my sleeping may be because I am getting very worried now about my deterioration so possibly it is stress related, thanks for your support I really appreciate it. Xx Jan Q.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thank you John, I am grateful for your reply and will contact my Dr about something to help me sleep , xxx Jan Q.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X