Morphine and lorazepam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katrina36 View Post
    Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has been on both these drugs together and how they felt on them if they have?... Katrina x
    My husband is prescribed lorazepam for anxiety. I have learned that it is best to give him a 1mg tablet when he's in bed as otherwise I am unable to move him safely.
    This week he has been prescribed 1mg of oramorph and he is finding that a lot better than the lorazepam. Seems to have the same benefits when he is anxious due to difficulties swallowing/coughing up his secretions and he is a lot calmer during these difficult times
    Hope that is of help.

Comment

Hi Hal;

Thanks for the tip on oramorph and welcome to the forum.

Best wishes, Terry
      TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Hi Hal, thanks for sending me that, I will try that with dad and see how it goes ... Katrina x

Comment

Hi Hal, the doctor was out and seen dad and they said exactly what you said, up the morphine to 5mls every couple of hours, so thanks .... It great for other people to see that advice of they find themselves in the same situation ... Katrina x

Comment

Hi all, my dads morphine sulphate and midazolam have both been put up to 20mg each now, double the amount since yest in his driver, why has it been doubled a has anyone been on that amount, were also allowed to give him lorazepam and morphine every hour on top of that if he gets aggitated or can't stop coughing, it sounds a lot to me,, time seems to be speeding by so fast.... Katrina x

Comment

Hi Ellie, I'm new to the forum and im just trying to find out lots of information for my mom who was diagnosed November 10th last year. She has just been started on a nippi 3 breathing machine at she isn't getting on with it at all, she's ok with it in the day, she uses it when she feels like she needs it, but at night she is waking up ripping the mask off and she isn't getttinf a good nights sleep, waking every couple of hours. I was reading you're post about the morphine helping with breathing, do you use the morphine and a breathing machine?

Comment

Hi SammyJoJo,

Welcome to you and to your mum.

Morphine is used for "air hunger", meaning for times when a person feels as if they're not getting enough air in to breathe. Some people find they get anxious using the Nippy, be it the mask making them feel claustrophobic or they aren't adjusting to the air flow rhythm, in which case Lorazepam, an anti-anxiety med, can be really helpful or some take sleepers but that's not always the best if there is respiratory weakness.

Can your mum identify why she is agitated?

No, I don't take anything for sleep/anxiety - thankfully I have no problems using my Nippy.

Ellie x.
                ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi Sammy;

It's good that your mom can use it during the day, does she have it on for two or three hours at a time?

Some people have found that Lorazepam helps a lot but if she can use it for a couple of hours and gradually try to increase that time at night.

Love Terry
                  TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Thank you for you're reply terry, she uses it for about and hour at a time in the day
                    She has only been using it for 2weeks I suppose it takes time to get used to it. I just rally don't want her to give up and
                    Start on morphine.

Comment

Hi, thank you for getting back to me. My mom gets claustrophobic with the mask and she
                      Don't get on with the nose one because she sleeps with her mouth open. Can I ask what medication you are talking
                      And what type of mnd you was diagnosed with? X

Comment

Sammyjojo
                        I am just starting with the Nippy and have struggled a bit with my jaw dropping open, but Papworth have given me a really comfy soft chin support to pop on for overnight use. It might be worth trying the nasal mask again with a chin strap, it is much less claustrophobic feeling.

Wendy x

Comment

Thank you Wendy, I will pass this info onto mom x

Comment

Hi Ellie, I'm new to the forum and im just trying to find out lots of information for my mom who was diagnosed November 10th last year. She has just been started on a nippi 3 breathing machine at she isn't getting on with it at all, she's ok with it in the day, she uses it when she feels like she needs it, but at night she is waking up ripping the mask off and she isn't getttinf a good nights sleep, waking every couple of hours. I was reading you're post about the morphine helping with breathing, do you use the morphine and a breathing machine?

Comment

Hi Sammy,

I have replied already - see post #22 above.

Ellie.
                              ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                              Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi, sorry yes I have seen you have replied, I'm still getting used to using the forum. I did reply back to you're reply did you get it ?

Comment

Working...
                                X