Morphine and lorazepam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Thank you you're message she is slowly getting used to it.
    ��

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by Terry View Post

The gentile cat
    Oh sweetie, thanks for the giggle…

Leave a comment:

• Terry
    replied
    Hi Sammy;

Don't worry about the chimp, she probably climbed down the tree the wrong side this morning.

The forum does take a bit of getting used to and can be confusing especially if you are stressed and worried.

Try to get your mom used to having it on for longer periods during the day with the mask so that she gets used to it for 3 hours or longer. this will build her confidence with her machine and lessen her anxiety during the night.

I would be tempted to try that and maybe lorazipam at night just put under tongue.

If she really wants to try the nose things during the night then you can buy some snoring aids that close your mouth or even a couple of small bit of tape.

Love Terry

The gentile cat

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi, Ellie yes this was the one sorry for the confusion and thank you for getting back to me. I thought I read in one of you're posts that you have taken morphine and lorazepam I must have been mistaken with another post.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by Sammyjojo View Post
    Hi, thank you for getting back to me. My mom gets claustrophobic with the mask and she
    Don't get on with the nose one because she sleeps with her mouth open. Can I ask what medication you are talking
    And what type of mnd you was diagnosed with? X

Hi Sammy,

Is this the reply to me? it didn’t have a name on it so I didn’t know it was for me – sorry.

No, as I said, I don’t take morphine or lorazepam (or any meds to help me sleep or antidepressants. I only take riluzole, antispasmodics, saliva meds & a stomach liner)

I have ALS/MND. I use a total face mask with a Nippy 3+, no other mask I tried was as comfortable.

Ellie.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi, sorry yes I have seen you have replied, I'm still getting used to using the forum. I did reply back to you're reply did you get it ?

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Hi Sammy,

I have replied already - see post #22 above.

Ellie.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi Ellie, I'm new to the forum and im just trying to find out lots of information for my mom who was diagnosed November 10th last year. She has just been started on a nippi 3 breathing machine at she isn't getting on with it at all, she's ok with it in the day, she uses it when she feels like she needs it, but at night she is waking up ripping the mask off and she isn't getttinf a good nights sleep, waking every couple of hours. I was reading you're post about the morphine helping with breathing, do you use the morphine and a breathing machine?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thank you Wendy, I will pass this info onto mom x

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sammyjojo
    I am just starting with the Nippy and have struggled a bit with my jaw dropping open, but Papworth have given me a really comfy soft chin support to pop on for overnight use. It might be worth trying the nasal mask again with a chin strap, it is much less claustrophobic feeling.

Wendy x

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi, thank you for getting back to me. My mom gets claustrophobic with the mask and she
    Don't get on with the nose one because she sleeps with her mouth open. Can I ask what medication you are talking
    And what type of mnd you was diagnosed with? X

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thank you for you're reply terry, she uses it for about and hour at a time in the day
    She has only been using it for 2weeks I suppose it takes time to get used to it. I just rally don't want her to give up and
    Start on morphine.

Leave a comment:

• Terry
    replied
    Hi Sammy;

It's good that your mom can use it during the day, does she have it on for two or three hours at a time?

Some people have found that Lorazepam helps a lot but if she can use it for a couple of hours and gradually try to increase that time at night.

Love Terry

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Hi SammyJoJo,

Welcome to you and to your mum.

Morphine is used for "air hunger", meaning for times when a person feels as if they're not getting enough air in to breathe. Some people find they get anxious using the Nippy, be it the mask making them feel claustrophobic or they aren't adjusting to the air flow rhythm, in which case Lorazepam, an anti-anxiety med, can be really helpful or some take sleepers but that's not always the best if there is respiratory weakness.

Can your mum identify why she is agitated?

No, I don't take anything for sleep/anxiety - thankfully I have no problems using my Nippy.

Ellie x.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi Ellie, I'm new to the forum and im just trying to find out lots of information for my mom who was diagnosed November 10th last year. She has just been started on a nippi 3 breathing machine at she isn't getting on with it at all, she's ok with it in the day, she uses it when she feels like she needs it, but at night she is waking up ripping the mask off and she isn't getttinf a good nights sleep, waking every couple of hours. I was reading you're post about the morphine helping with breathing, do you use the morphine and a breathing machine?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X