Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swallowing capsules

Hi all,

Over the last week I am having problems swallowing capsules, tablets I can take by chewing them into smaller pieces before swallowing, food is normally fine although I am chewing it a bit more and taking longer to finish meals. My other half doesn't understand why I'm having a problem with the capsules all I can think of is that I am trying to swallow straight over without chewing and that is where the problem lies. Has anyone else come across this?

Andrea

Yes, I have had similar problems Andrea;

When I was well I could not swallow any tablets. Now I can swallow most things without any water etc. But things have changed over my 7 years of Mnd from easy to hard to easy. I found capsules very hard because they seemed to stick to my tongue or the roof of my mouth and also because they are so light.

Try swallowing with yogurt, breakfast cereal or so other mouse type thing. It is probably better to get the substance if a coated tablet etc.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Yes Andrea, like Terry I take capsules with thick yoghurt or in a mouthful of easy to swallow food. (I know he's a cat but I don't recommend taking one with mouse )

I can't swallow them with water.

Ellie x.
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Rumba. I do sometimes struggle to swallow my Riluzole tablet it melts in my mouth. What I do is have cold water ready and put tablet on my tongue and push to back of tongue then sip of water to swallow it down. Riluzole needs taking hour before food or two after. I find that works nearly every time.
        Regards John

Comment

Hi John;

Some riluzole makes melt quicker that others, I always ask for:- (NOT GLENTECH BRAND prefers teva or actavis),

I think that they are best taken as you describe but it does not matter so much.

Do try not to let them dissolve in your mouth as they cause local anesthetic to areas and maybe other problems.

Love Terry
          TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Thanks all had a go at trying to swallow with yogurt worked well for the smaller ginseng & probiotic supplements but still having problem with the larger fish oil capsule will have to keep trying that one.

Ellie I'll be sure to avoid the mouse.........

Comment

There is a free on line course on dysphagia (swallowing difficulties) which might appeal to some. I'm doing it at the moment and finding it really interesting although I am out of my depth for some of it. There's a whole section on swallowing tablets and capsules and why it is important not to crush tablets or open capsules. Just google Futurelearn to get details of the courses - there are hundreds of them and I find they are a good way to fill the empty days and keeping the brain active.

Comment

Hi Miranda, I love the FutureLearn courses too. I did the dysphagia course a while ago and found it really informative and helpful. I have been with them since they first started. It is so nice to have something worthwhile come into my inbox and something to do with my brain!
                Best wishes

Comment

Working...
                X