Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pink Feet

Hi Everyone,

Need some advice on my husbands pink feet! some days like today both feet look really purple/pinkish, slightly swollen and just not right. He has previously spoken to a consultant about them (that's when we managed to see one) but she didn't seem unduly bothered - they have gotten worse.

He's hardly able to do any exercise and sits in the same chair for hours on end - any suggestions?

Thanks
    Sue

Because it's both his feet that are pink and swollen, Sue, it's unlikely to be DVTs, but that should always be a consideration with a pink-red swollen foot (or limb or hand)

Swollen feet are common with MND as we often can't move our legs, so fluid can pool in the feet and joint get stiff and painful. (I know your husband has no def diagnosis but he doesn't move much)
    Reduce the swelling by elevating the feet - riser recliner armchairs are handy but a high foot stool is OK too - and gentle massage, upwards to ankles then upwards to the knee.

He can try wearing compression socks too.

Best of luck.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi Ellie thanks for that, he does sit in a riser recliner and uses the foot rest all day long, but he has not been wearing socks of any kind for a long time now so i will get him some out before I can get for some compression socks.

He was given some home physio to do but no longer has the strength to do it unfortunately I have a bad back and most of it means bending or crouching but I will do my best,

Sue

Comment

Ellie I have just been through my suitcases! - I have a pair of unopened flight compression socks so I think they might do, what do you think? now to mek him put them on!!

cheers

Comment

I'd just grab his feet and put them on. 😉

Comment

I will, he has a hospital bed so tonight I will raise the bottom end see if that helps ! cheers

Comment

Hi Sue, I am still walking around the house albeit wobbly.My legs go purple and blotchy and seem worse after I shower in the morning.I showed the neurologist who just said it’s fairly common.I don’t have any swelling.I wear cosy bed socks as toes feel like ice at times and go white!I wiggle my feet about and don’t sit too long ..maybe palliative care team physio can offer advise on passive exercises.I ended up with chilblains early this year...not had them since I was a child..guess all to do with circulation problems.Hope your hubby gets sorted..I do hope you have a MND nurse or palliative care team you can contact with these queries?I feel very supported by the team I come under ..for myself and my husband it’s really important to know who can ask advise from once thinks crop up.Best wishes.Mary

Comment

Thanks for raising this I thought it was just me, chilblains are surprisingly sore bad enough walking without the additional pressure on them.
                I remember my mum rubbing an onion on them when we were kids, No idea why or even if worked, don’t think I’ll do it now though
                S
                As long as there’s golf and beer I’m happy

Comment

Suefromwakey They sure can be stubborn things to get on, Sue - try talcum powder on his legs or put a plastic bag on his lower leg, pull the sock on over it then remove the bag.

My carers sit on kitchen chair at my rise recline armchair to do a foot massage and range of motion exercises on my toes and ankles, saves their backs.

Hope hubby's feet improve.

Love Ellie.
                  ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                  Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks for the info here - jury is out on the socks! I will buy talc, Mary C has brought something else up for me which I will post in another Topic

Comment

Working...
                    X