No announcement yet.

Anyone have problems with increased mucus when using patches for saliva control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have problems with increased mucus when using patches for saliva control

I was prescribed patches to control excessive saliva but I have found the mucus in my throat has got thicker are the 2 linked

Yes unfortunately decreasing saliva often results in creating thicker mucus because it isn't being diluted.

As a first possible solution, try increasing your intake of water - aim for 1500mls - and see if that makes a difference.

Notwithstanding the mucus issue, are you happy with how the patch (hyoscine??) is working in decreasing the amount of saliva you're producing? Is your mouth now too dry?

Ellie x.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

I ude the patches, however they have me in a Catch 22 situation. Use them, no matter how much and where i site them, always dry me out making inpossible to eat and drink. Not use them and saliva plays havoc with everthing I do.

Comment

Pete Try half. Dude

Comment

I've tried all combinations, halves, different areas

Comment

Half day ?.

Comment

Pete, have you tried any other meds to dry up saliva? There are alternatives; if one doesn't suit you, try another.

Ellie.
              ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
              Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Working...
              X