Atropine for saliva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atropine for saliva

I’ve just received prescription for Atropine drops for excess saliva and drooling. On reading the info leaflet I feel quite concerned about taking it. There is no mention of any use other than as eye drops. The instructions on the box from the pharmacy say “put 2 drops under the tongue and swish and spit” mmmmm! Well I can neither swish or spit due to my failing tongue , lip and face muscles. It also says “do not swallow. If swallowed, go to A and E immediately “. It doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence .
    Does anyone else out there have experience of Atropine for saliva control? Is there a different , less dodgy alternative?
    Thanks for reading this.
    Love, Lizzie

Don't be alarmed Lizzie, atropine is used 'off licence' to reduce secretions. I didn't think it was a swish and spit instruction though, it usually goes under the tongue - I remember one man saying that he had a hard time keeping it in his mouth!

You might find think leaflet reassuring: https://www.palliativecareguidelines...il-2020-20.pdf

And yes, if you're not comfortable using atropine or if it doesn't work, there are alternative meds, hyoscine, glycopyrronium and amitriptyline.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

That’s really helpful Ellie. Thankyou.
      Love, Lizzie

Comment

I wouldn’t touch Amitriptyline with a barge pole. I tried a small dose many years ago (I think 10 mg at night) to aid sleeping when you have chronic pain. It did the jobs of getting me to sleep and a better sleep. But the after effects, heavy foggy head, sleepiness and inability to think clearly lasted until about 2pm the next day. We’re all different though. Lynne x
        ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

After radiotherapy on my saliva glands I find 20mils of Carbocisteine and 13 mils Glycopyrronium Bromide 5 times in a day manages my saliva beautifully. 😟🤗😠😀xx
          Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

matthew55 Sorry mate, I didn't know you have to take so much glycopyrronium after the RT - that high a dose could explain your nasal congestion and add to your fatigue 😥 It's not you going mad, well, maybe not 😘
            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

My nose has is clear and my coffee mixes help me with fatigue. I'm just odd. 😁xx
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Sounds like you're putting coffee up your nose Matthew 🤔 probably would clear it 😄

Comment

Working...
                X