Omega 3 Fish Oil high strength or B12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Omega 3 Fish Oil high strength or B12

Somewhat alarmed to reach that Omega 3 in high doses can hasten along the symptoms of MND so today instead of taking 3 x 1000 mg capsules I stopped. I had been taking B12 before (not shown to be deficient) thinking that might help slow down the escalation. Now reading you should take Omega 6 instead (walnuts, peanuts, almonds etc. etc.). I also take a multi vitamin.

When I took the B12 I had headaches but was deficient in vitamin D, now taking prescribed dosage, so wondering if I should just go back to the B12 with the multi vitamin or just take the multi vitamins? Googling can be very confusing.

What do you all think ?

I agree Pam, one can be bombarded with so much mixed messaging when searching online for possible beneficial supplements to take.

It's compounded by the fact that when there are scientific studies undertaken, they're in mouse models or in vitro, so they's no real guarantee that the same outcomes, good or bad, would be replicated in real life.

I took B12 for years prior to my diagnosis as I'm vegetarian, but changed the type and amount of B12 after diagnosis - I take sublingual methylcobalamin for maximum absorption. I also take D3. I don't take either with any expectation of my progression being slowed, but rather for my general wellbeing. I don't take a multivitamin as I have a nutrionally balanced diet.

I don't know much about high dose Omega 3 or 6, but I'd check first with my Neuro before taking high doses of anything.

A good website to check out supplements and their potential impact on ALS/MND is ALSUntangled and their review on B12 as methylcobalamin is here

Are you enrolled or likely to be enrolled in any clinical trials?

Good luck with your endeavours.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

Caffeine and sugar are the only supplements I need πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†πŸ˜€πŸ˜xx
      Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

Isn't there arsenic in too many almonds and some are seriously allergic to peanuts! Not sure about walnuts. Me thinks it's risky eating anything.

OK I admit I had 1/2 packet of plain chocolate digestives. I'm going to have fun before I have to book myself in for a nhs health check up. they want me healthy so I can look after Stephen. Come to think of it if I'm not healthy they'll have to get some one to look after Stephen. A plan is forming in my head! πŸ˜†πŸ€£πŸ˜‚

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
          OK I admit I had 1/2 packet of plain chocolate digestives.
          In case you think the dark chocolate ones are healthier than their milk chocolate cousins, think again. (same calories) 😏
          My husband tried that excuse on me πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜˜

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

I'm past caring. Making hay while the sun shines.

though anyone who says my bum looks big in those will suffer πŸ™„

Comment

Working...
            X