Shoulder pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoulder pain

Hi all. I know this may have been asked but I've searched previous posts and got a few tips.

Due to my arm being immobile my shoulder is giving me alot of pain. The doctor wanted me to wear a brace however 2 physios said no.

I have always had a rotator cuff issue but seriously this pain is awful.
    I had my air mattress delivered this week and I am trying to sleep on my back.

Is there anything that worked/reduced pain re meds or therapies and what is the best position in bed.

Cheers
    Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

Stephen is complaining of shoulder pain.
    when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

denise I've read up on it and its very common with als. Yet not much in how to deal with it.

I woke last night and yelled out in pain my poor husband shot up.

Morphine is just a knock out drug that wears of quickly.

Comment

All my life I have slept on my side. But with my v shaped pillow I sleep on my back, and the only pain I get is my right foot and left knee, which is easily solved by bending my legs. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Žxx
        Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜xx

Comment

I do have a v pillow i will give it a try thank you. I'm sleeping slightly raised and legs raised so I do slide down the bed .

Comment

What about steroid and nerve blocking injections Shelly?

They were the best treatments I had for my shoulder pain, gave real pain relief, much better than morphine.

A brace only made it worse because my back and neck muscles weren't strong enough to carry any weight.

If it's of any comfort, the pain is minimal now that the ligaments, tendons and bones have stretched and settled into their new positions ๐Ÿฅด

I sleep on heat to relax muscles (electric blanket) and take Naproxen most nights before bed, and have a very comfortable air mattress, that's me sorted these days.

Good luck ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿ˜˜

โ€‹Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

โ€‹

Comment

I did read your steroid injection post and I will speak with my g.p

I have a great hear pad so I will give that a try also. They are going to try me on a new medication that is an anti depressant plus helps with nerve pain.

I might try a heat blanket on low though as I hate being hot lol xxx

Comment

Originally posted by shelly21 View Post
                They are going to try me on a new medication that is an anti depressant plus helps with nerve pain.
                If it's Amiriptyline, it can take a week or so to notice any real improvement in pain, so don't feel upset if it doesn't fully work on night 1.

I might try a heat blanket on low though as I hate being hot
                Yeah, mine is in a timer plug, comes on intermittently throughout the night to avoid me melting!

โ€‹

Comment

If his pain persists I'm going to have to ask for painkillers but who do I ask? I just end up going round in circles because no one has the knowledge to prescribe anything.

Comment

My hospice palliative team recommended to my GP to prescribe paracetamol 4 x a day plus a diclofenac suppository ๐Ÿ˜ณ at night for left hip bursitis but presumably my inflammatory pain is of a different nature to yours shelly21
                    Diagnosed 18th May 2021 with sporadic ALS. Limb onset. Terrified of not being able to breathe easily.

Comment

Hi rosemary
                      that's the thing how am I supposed to know what kind of pain he has in his shoulder because all he says is that it hurts. I don't think sleeping with his arm above his head helps as this must slow the circulation but what do I know.
                      As for hip pain I really have a sharp pain in my hip down to my knee which doesn't help when I'm trying to help raise Stephen. Cant say I want to go down the suppository route for me or him. Omg the thought of it.
                      ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคญ

Comment

Ellie I've been on amitryptline for 5yrs 50mg but not touching this shoulder pain.

I'm on my 5th night on a phase 3 air mattress on medium setting and its rock hard. Its really getting me down.

I will ring the supplier Monday and seek advice x

Comment

Dont see the point of an air mattress if it's hard. Thought that defeated the object. ๐Ÿค”

Comment

I'm on my 5th night on a phase 3 air mattress on medium setting and its rock hard. Its really getting me down.
                            Is your air mattress also a Centrius? Nobody can be expected to sleep on a hard mattress - it really boils my blood when I read about uncomfortable mattresses being provided ๐Ÿ˜ก

I guess you can rule out nerve pain for your shoulder so. xx

โ€‹

Comment

They said they were coming to do an assessment. They didn't. Then it just arrived. No its a drive devilibus phase iii. I have changed the settings today and if still poor Monday I will ask for an alternative.

Comment

Working...
                              X