Atropine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atropine

I take glycopyronium to reduce saliva which doesn’t really work. I’ve been given atropine drops to try as well. Does anyone have any experience of this stuff and did you find it helped?
    Bulbar ALS diagnosed September 2021, no speech, PEG fed, using ipad with Predictable to communicate, taking each day as it comes

Did you get to try glyco at higher doses Hakuna?

A few people here have tried, or currently take atropine, hopefully some will post, and you can put 'atropine' in the search box to see previous posts.

The meds and treatments to reduce saliva production can vary widely from person to person in how effective they are, unfortunately... xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hakuna I have used both. I would say Atropine has a more immediate affect. I switched from that to glyco as the drops gave me blurred vision. How many glyco are you taking a day? I was prescribed 3 a day but only take 2, as that works for me. I take one when I get up and one about 3pm. As Ellie says everyone reacts differently. I am still eating and that is when the saliva gets problematic. Hope this helps.
      Diagnosed 3rd November 2021 Bulbar Onset

Comment

Hi GillB, the glyco goes down my PEG because I can’t swallow. I think its 0.25ml twice a day. How does that equate to the tablets?
        Bulbar ALS diagnosed September 2021, no speech, PEG fed, using ipad with Predictable to communicate, taking each day as it comes

Comment

Originally posted by Hakuna View Post
          I think its 0.25ml twice a day.
          There is 1mg of glycopyrronium in 5ml of liquid.

If it really is 0.25ml you take Hakuna, that is a tiny, tiny dose.

I take 2mg, or 2 tablets, which is equal to 10ml of liquid glyco, 2x per day.

Perhaps you might check the dose you're getting, maybe it's 2.5ml, which, at 0.5mg5/half a tablet, is still a small dose. xx
          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hakuna I agree with Ellie. Mine are 1mg tablets that I crush and take down the peg. By Ellie's calculations 3 tablets is 15ml and 2 is enough for it to be effective.
            Diagnosed 3rd November 2021 Bulbar Onset

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I’ll email MND Clinic doctor and ask for advice. I’m pretty sure it is 0.25 but I’ll check prescription.

Comment

It definitely is 0.25 so I’ll ask about it. But it does dry my throat and the back of my mouth but i still dribble incessantly.

Comment

Working...
                X