• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arta
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2020

NurOwn

Hi all, just wondering if NurOwn gets approved in the US, is it likely that UK will follow and fund the treatment too?
  • Ellie
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2012

Unfortunately Arta, nobody knows the answer.

Phase III results due by year end in the US, then it goes to the FDA for approval in the US market which can take ~6months.

There is a petition calling on NurOwn to be fast tracked for approval in the UK but, as you said, will the treatment then be funded - that'll be the biggest issue in countries with a state funded health service.

Keep watching for updates.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Arta
      Forum Member
      • Feb 2020

Thank you Ellie. That's my worry.

Comment

• Tess
        Forum Member
        • Apr 2020

I've had many friends and family sign the UK Petition for NurOwn, but it's only at 55,000 signatures and requires 100,000 by September to be possibly discussed at parliament. I understand that there's various steps involved to get anything approved, but very frustrating when things take time and that's the one area those affected by MND do not have.

Money-time-health. We've seen the same paradigms juggled with the government dealing with the Covid pandemic.

I watched a reflection video a few years back talking about all three. Basically saying if you have money, time and health you should be laughing and it's not often you have all 3.

No effective treatment exists for 5,000 sufferers of MND in the UK. NurOwn is in the final months of Phase 3 of a US FDA regulated clinical trial. Phase 2 data indicated NurOwn was safe and demonstrated signs of efficacy at low doses.

Comment

• Arta
          Forum Member
          • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Tess View Post
          I've had many friends and family sign the UK Petition for NurOwn, but it's only at 55,000 signatures and requires 100,000 by September to be possibly discussed at parliament. I understand that there's various steps involved to get anything approved, but very frustrating when things take time and that's the one area those affected by MND do not have.

Money-time-health. We've seen the same paradigms juggled with the government dealing with the Covid pandemic.

I watched a reflection video a few years back talking about all three. Basically saying if you have money, time and health you should be laughing and it's not often you have all 3.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/301033
          Thank you Tess.

Exactly, time is not the luxury majority have. Hope it gets more signatures.

Comment

• jd58
            Forum Member
            • Jun 2020

200 ALS Patients Finish Dosing in Phase 3 Trial of NurOwn Cell Therapy

NurOwn is a cell-based therapy that uses mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) — cells that are able to give rise to nearly all tissues found in the body, including bones, muscles, and connective tissue — isolated from a patient’s own bone marrow.

After isolation, MSCs are grown in a lab dish and differentiated into cells that produce high levels of neurotrophic factors — compounds that promote the growth and survival of nerve cells. The modified cells are then returned to patients through an injection into spinal canal.

Comment

• jd58
              Forum Member
              • Jun 2020

16 FEB 2020 —

The Scottish Medicines Consortium (SMC) this week confirmed its position on NurOwn. - https://www.change.org/p/boris-johns...lls/u/25756095

Comment

• Christine L
                Forum Member
                • Jul 2020

See report on Twitter dated 19 August from Brainstorm cell therapeutics re NurOwn progress

Comment

Working...
                X