Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vigorous exercise

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57431412
    this seems to chime in with my profile. Road running etc. Don't know about others??
    Last edited by Gordan1111; 11 June 2021, 09:40.

Gordan1111 I been listening to this on the news. Doesn't really fit my profile...I've been active as in walking but not working out or high intensity training.
    Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. NIV overnight. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

I played football cricket golf ect.... at 18/19 stone for years but you think that would strain the heart not the brain

Comment

My husband a keen footballer and cricketer. Took youngsters for football training. Also weight training.
        when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

I ran about 20 miles a week into my mid-sixties albeit at usually fairly sedate pace. Suppose tendancy to look for any culprit.

Comment

Stephens doctor suggested it could have been due to a broken leg whilst playing football.
            when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

I walked between 12 and 17 miles and 3000+ cumulative height (when no 3000 foot mountains available) every Sunday for about 5 years (and the gym sometimes) and a bit less after this, but regularly for the following 10 years up until my lack of balance. I heard about this research overnight on World Service. But I don’t know how much it factored in my MND because I have the inherited C9ORF72 gene fault anyway. Lynne
              ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

I guess risk risk is we beat ourselves for what we done or not done like like playing football. I interpreted it as C9ORF72 gene increased risk generally

Comment

This I find interesting but wonder why no one ever asked my husband about any sports injury he may have had - I have long since thought that a massive kick he took to the head 30 odd years ago playing rugby may have been a trigger?

Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

Originally posted by Suefromwakey View Post
                    This I find interesting but wonder why no one ever asked my husband about any sports injury he may have had - I have long since thought that a massive kick he took to the head 30 odd years ago playing rugby may have been a trigger?
                    You might be right about blows to the head to rugby or football players. There’s been news about dementia being linked to such like. But there’s also MND and dementia links so who knows really what makes the eventually links or loss of links (connections) in our brains that results in MND kicking off. That’s the 000$ question. Lynne x
                    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Hi Sue - I don't know. Some well-known rugby players have been afflicted. This report suggests linkage with strenuous long term exercise. But as Lynne says some neuro conditions have been linked to head-trauma in footballers haven't they
                      Last edited by Gordan1111; 11 June 2021, 14:27.

Comment

I was an army physical training instructor for 18 years of my 23 years served, but did not think I over exercised then or after getting out, I would cycle and walk but not competitively.
                        Diagnosed 2nd Jan 2020
                        Both arms/shoulders affected, left worse than right.
                        Progressive Muscular Atrophy suspected

Comment

I find this very interesting, as there does seem to be a link between sport/ exercise/ trauma. In my case however, I don’t have the sporting background, but I am sure there is a connection between trauma my body has suffered, and my bulbar onset MND. In a period of 4 years I had a broken pelvis twice ( spontaneous, and thought to be due to arthritis), followed by two knee replacements due to the severe arthritis. I know there is no proof but in my heart I believe that the concentrated trauma over such a short timespan has played a part in my diagnosis. I’d be interested to hear your views on this.
                          Has anyone else had a similar experience?
                          Love, Lizzie x

Comment

Hi lizzy, Beemer. It does seems likely there could be some sort of link doesn't it. Many athletes often seem affected but whether there's other factors also at play; immune response, inflammation? I read somewhere it was like dominoes: one goes down and it starts them all off

Comment

As the gobby one 😋 I have to say that the article is a bit misleading…

Developing sporadic ALS/MND is a six-step process, a mixture of genetic and environmental factors, which are ticked off one by one. The 6th step, the trigger, sets the disease alight, and this fatal trigger step could be either genetic or environmental. One of these 6 factors is (probably) excessive exercise, other known risk factors are smoking and alcohol consumption. But excessive exercise is not a stand-alone factor, but one of six factors predisposing a person to developing ALS.

So, if you though you were unlucky before reading this, you’re actually 6x unluckier than you thought 😏

Still, at least the sun is shining 😘

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                              Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Working...
                              X