No announcement yet.

Smart trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony i attended my smart trial today. its a good 2 hours. Dont sign the paperwork as you have to do it in the presence of the team.

Had full examination, blood test & ecg.

I am impressed already as during examination he noted clonus in my legs and doubled my baclofen.

I had not seen a neurologist since diagnosis day so it was worth it very much.

If bloods ok then I start the trial on the 13th of July.
    Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

Comment

Originally posted by shelly21 View Post
      I am impressed already as during examination he noted clonus in my legs and doubled my baclofen.
      Clonus in knees, ankles or both? Be aware that doubling your dose of Baclofen *might* lower the muscle tone in your legs a bit too much affecting weight bearing abilities (for transfers?) If it does and the clonus doesn't particularly bother you, you have wiggle room on the dose.

I had not seen a neurologist since diagnosis day so it was worth it very much.
      😲 Will you see the Neuro on an ongoing basis now?

If bloods ok then I start the trial on the 13th of July.
      Everything crossed for you 😘

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Ellie i think its knees and ankles. With my leg out stretched and he held my foot up and knee down and mega temors like really shaking. I had noticed my knees getting very stiff. Also when sat on a chair the tremor in my leg was crazy.

Should I maybe not try to walk etc whilst new increase takes hold? I really don't know about spasticspasticity.

I go on the trial I will see neuro in 6 months. Thats better than what i was getting.

X

Comment

Should I maybe not try to walk etc whilst new increase takes hold?
          Not necessarily, just be aware that it *might* lower your tone enough as to make your legs weaker - def take it first time when your partner is around.

Are you going from 10mg to 20mg?

Also when sat on a chair the tremor in my leg was crazy
          That happens me too. If you can stand, put stand and ut your weight through that leg and/or have somebody push your ankle upwards to invoke more clonus - a few of these will clear the clonus. If you're alone, push your foot into the floor or at an angle into a wheelchair footrest.

Comment

Ellie thank you so much 💕. I've made the other half aware. He has doubled my dose from 30mg (10mg x 3) and now wants 4 doses of 15mg. So 60mg daily. He explained that it can go up to a 100.

x

Comment

4 doses of 15mg. So 60mg daily.
              I am in no way disputing your Neurologist's prescription but, with a 4x daily dose, you may end up taking it more frequently than 6-8 hourly, which isn't great - by that I mean you may end up having a high concentration of Baclofen in your blood for periods of time, which may not be great whilst getting used to the higher dose.

I have been on 100mg per day and now, thankfully, am back on a maintenance dose of 60mg, 3 x 20mg, although the odd time I have to take an extra antispasmodic when my legs refuse to bend 🙄 (if I get icy cold)

You will find your own way with a regimen once you know how your spasticity reacts to it. xx

Comment

Ellie that does seem a big rise re asking me to take every 4 hours. I think I will start with 3 doses of 15mg and see how it goes.
                x

Comment

That makes sense shelly21 Baclofen's half life is 6-8hrs, so it's wise to err on the side of caution until you know how it affects you. xx

Comment

I attended my 2nd smart trial appointment today.

They did the ALSFR score.
                    Took 3 lots of blood. 1 dna and 2 research database.

Did lengthy tests re thinking, logic and memory tests. Very hard in places.

Then 3 bottles supply of liquid solution.
                    take it at night just in case it makes you drowsy.

Now phone call appointments for a while and filling in a daily report sheet.

A very relaxed appointment, yet efficient. Whilst chatting i asked the neurologist how many people does he diagnose? He said including 2nd opinions 3 per week. I was not expecting this amount. But Birmingham is the only mnd centre for miles.

Just info for anyone thinking of taking part.

Comment

That's good news Shelly - hope all goes well for you xx

My Neurologist also diagnoses about 3 people per week. 😟

Comment

Ellie it amazed me re how many diagnosed.😒

Comment

I have been accepted for a gene therapy trial, 1st dose of placebo or drug, 21st July, Kings College Hospital, London

shelly21 Congratulations! Haven't heard of the SMART trial, but will be thinking of you; you must be being dosed right now!
                          Mum died with MND in 1979 – My sister and I have a wonky gene, probably inherited from mum. Reckon my MND started sometime in 2018.

Comment

EvelynMW yes taken it 30 mins ago. Start low and then increase slowly.
                            Yes its the university of Edinburgh and mnd Scotland. Its basically testing drugs already in existence.

Great that you are doing a gene trial re your own 'wonky gene"

Comment

Working...
                            X