X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a link between rugby and MND?

In the news.

Is there a link between rugby and MND?

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

There’s a documentary following rob burrows (rugby player) on BBC some time this autumn. Date unknown at mo

Comment

you play much Ellie haha

Comment

See related posts on this subject by JamesW and me on the Early Bird Club thread.
        Must admit most of the folks here don't strike me as enthusiastic Rugby players
        Hi, I'm Eddie.
        Started with wobbly left ankle in Nov 2020. Diagnosed 22 Oct 2021, confirmed by 2nd opinion 4 days later.
        Still walking and talking, and wondering what the future will bring.

Comment

Originally posted by WheelsOfSteel View Post
          See related posts on this subject by JamesW and me on the Early Bird Club thread.
          Must admit most of the folks here don't strike me as enthusiastic Rugby players
          Lol 😂

Although in fairness I played a lot of rugby in my younger days…. I was a forward as well 😊
          Foxes Never Quit 💙

Comment

The rob burrows documentary is on bbc2 tonight at 9pm
            Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

Comment

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ttles-MND.html

Comment

I believe head trauma is up there with top 5 causes.

Comment

going to be an emotional watch shelly21

Comment

Originally posted by shelly21 View Post
                    The rob burrows documentary is on bbc2 tonight at 9pm
                    🤔 Tonight’s documentary is listed as Steve Thompson, Head On: Rugby, Dementia and Me.
                    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Rob Burrows documentary it says is on the October 18th. Xx
                      Diagnosed June 2022. Confirmed MND which is currently PLS. Limb onset.

Comment

There's a caution on the MNDA Research Twitter that the sample size is small, as well as a familial overlap within rugby community (compared to some other sports).

I don't watch much TV, but when I'm down south every 5 or 6 weeks in a hotel, there has been a BBC breakfast news programme featuring MND most times over the last 14 months, as well as the regional area segment (BBC South West) particularly featuring MND rugby players too.

If nothing else, thank you to the sportsmen and their colleagues supporting them regarding highlighting this issue around greater public awareness and with fundraising.

I've never been great at sport, but I used to do 200+ miles a week cycling for several years from late teens to 30 something, as well as being very physically active with work and hobbies - so I follow the wider debate around perceived 'athletic' activity history risk, as well as being mindful that I havent been engaged in contact sport with head injuries risk (although other occupational and leisure / accidental neck risks).
                        2020: odd symptoms. Nov 2021: Hand atrophy.. Mar 2022: Second arm atrophy - Confirmed Apr 2022: MND.
                        Also Crohn's Disease from 2005ish. (Hi, I'm Dan in Cheshire)...

Comment

Ellie you're right. sorry.

Comment

As an ex-amateur rugby player of 20 years now with MND I reckon so.

Though I thankfully seem to be the only one from my club

Comment

My husband ( who has MND ) played rugby for years well into his twenties. He played prop.!! Xx

Comment

Working...
                              X