No announcement yet.

Is there a link between rugby and MND?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't play rugby, but played another full contact sport- plus football and field hockey (with multiple concussions and exposure to herbicides used on the pitch as a result). I have a feeling that some folk are more genetically predisposed to develop MND than others, and that contact sport sets them on the path to disease expression.

Comment

I’ve never played rugby but was always sporty… mainly running, from sprinting to half marathons, and doing daft obstacle runs like ‘Tough Guy’. I did play hockey and football (very badly) in the Army in my 20s and 30s. I’ve also had several concussions and a fractured skull over the years 🤔

Interestingly, in the US, research has found links between military service and ALS. I’m not sure of the reliability and validity of the research, but the VA grants monthly payments to veterans with ALS as it’s considered ‘service related’. I wonder what the percentages are in the UK 🤔
      Hi, I’m Pauline. Keeping positive, working through a bucket list with the love of my life, my husband Gareth.

Diagnosed July 2022 Bulbar onset ALS. PEG fitted but not used yet. Speech poor, some swallowing issues, right arm weakness and loss of dexterity, left arm getting weaker. Starting to feel unsteady on feet but still mobile.

Comment

Lynne11013 hmmm 🤔 makes you wonder doesn’t it?
        I’m really sorry to hear this 😞
        Hi, I’m Pauline. Keeping positive, working through a bucket list with the love of my life, my husband Gareth.

Diagnosed July 2022 Bulbar onset ALS. PEG fitted but not used yet. Speech poor, some swallowing issues, right arm weakness and loss of dexterity, left arm getting weaker. Starting to feel unsteady on feet but still mobile.

Comment

Working...
        X