Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs. Taff
    replied
    Lynne11013 hmmm 🤔 makes you wonder doesn’t it?
    I’m really sorry to hear this 😞

Leave a comment:

• Mrs. Taff
    replied
    I’ve never played rugby but was always sporty… mainly running, from sprinting to half marathons, and doing daft obstacle runs like ‘Tough Guy’. I did play hockey and football (very badly) in the Army in my 20s and 30s. I’ve also had several concussions and a fractured skull over the years 🤔

Interestingly, in the US, research has found links between military service and ALS. I’m not sure of the reliability and validity of the research, but the VA grants monthly payments to veterans with ALS as it’s considered ‘service related’. I wonder what the percentages are in the UK 🤔

Leave a comment:

• ShiftKicker
    replied
    I didn't play rugby, but played another full contact sport- plus football and field hockey (with multiple concussions and exposure to herbicides used on the pitch as a result). I have a feeling that some folk are more genetically predisposed to develop MND than others, and that contact sport sets them on the path to disease expression.

Leave a comment:

• Piglet
    replied
    My husband ( who has MND ) played rugby for years well into his twenties. He played prop.!! Xx

Leave a comment:

• Ian C
    replied
    As an ex-amateur rugby player of 20 years now with MND I reckon so.

Though I thankfully seem to be the only one from my club

Leave a comment:

• shelly21
    replied
    Ellie you're right. sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Arcadian
    replied
    There's a caution on the MNDA Research Twitter that the sample size is small, as well as a familial overlap within rugby community (compared to some other sports).

I don't watch much TV, but when I'm down south every 5 or 6 weeks in a hotel, there has been a BBC breakfast news programme featuring MND most times over the last 14 months, as well as the regional area segment (BBC South West) particularly featuring MND rugby players too.

If nothing else, thank you to the sportsmen and their colleagues supporting them regarding highlighting this issue around greater public awareness and with fundraising.

I've never been great at sport, but I used to do 200+ miles a week cycling for several years from late teens to 30 something, as well as being very physically active with work and hobbies - so I follow the wider debate around perceived 'athletic' activity history risk, as well as being mindful that I havent been engaged in contact sport with head injuries risk (although other occupational and leisure / accidental neck risks).

Leave a comment:

• Zante
    replied
    Rob Burrows documentary it says is on the October 18th. Xx

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by shelly21 View Post
    The rob burrows documentary is on bbc2 tonight at 9pm
    🤔 Tonight’s documentary is listed as Steve Thompson, Head On: Rugby, Dementia and Me.

Leave a comment:

• Patw
    replied
    going to be an emotional watch shelly21

Leave a comment:

• shelly21
    replied
    I believe head trauma is up there with top 5 causes.

Leave a comment:

• shelly21
    replied
    A new documentary, Rob Burrow: Living With MND, which will air on BBC Two in October, sees the former Leeds Rhinos star revealing what it's like to live with motor neurone disease.

Leave a comment:

• shelly21
    replied
    The rob burrows documentary is on bbc2 tonight at 9pm

Leave a comment:

• JamesW
    replied
    Originally posted by WheelsOfSteel View Post
    See related posts on this subject by JamesW and me on the Early Bird Club thread.
    Must admit most of the folks here don't strike me as enthusiastic Rugby players
    Lol 😂

Although in fairness I played a lot of rugby in my younger days…. I was a forward as well 😊

Leave a comment:

• WheelsOfSteel
    replied
    See related posts on this subject by JamesW and me on the Early Bird Club thread.
    Must admit most of the folks here don't strike me as enthusiastic Rugby players

Leave a comment:

Working...
X