The Earswitch in MND

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Earswitch in MND

Some existing switches to control electronic communication tools, may be difficult for some people with Motor Neurone Disease to use. A company called Earswitch Ltd, have demonstrated that a small muscle in the ear, called the tensor tympani muscle, can be voluntarily moved and effectively used to control a virtual on-screen keyboard to communicate. This technology may be advantageous to a range of people to enable or improve communication.

However, it is not currently known what proportion of people can voluntarily move this ear muscle and therefore potentially benefit from this technology.

As such, this research project conducted by the University of Bath will aim to establish what proportion of the general population as well as those with motor neurone disease can move or control this muscle.

Taking part in this study involves completing an online survey which takes 10 minutes to complete. This questionnaire will collect preliminary information about whether people living with MND could benefit from a new communication/assistive device located in earphones.

For more information and to take part, please visit our website:
    https://www.mndassociation.org/resea...switch-in-mnd/
    Our working hours are Monday to Friday 8:30am until 5pm

Done 😊

Comment

I did it too but discovered I'm not a special one after all 😆 I couldn't hear the noise, could you Matthew?
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

I think I do but I could be wrong 😊

Comment

Show off 😋🙄

Comment

Done and I couldn’t hear rumbling
            I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

At least it's not just me! 😄

Comment

done. stephen couldnt hear anything.

Comment

I couldn't hear rumbling. Nothing between my ears 🤣

Comment

I couldn't hear anything either. I really need to get out more as I felt quite disappointed 😞

Comment

How do you know if what you can hear is in your head or outside? 🦇

Comment

done and rumble free too!
                        Best

Robin

Diagnosed 05/2017 Familial ALS Limb onset

Comment

Done, no rumbling 'ere.
                          Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

The only thing rumbling was my stomach. Time for dinner.
                            I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Clearly you and I, Matthew, possess this SPECIAL power. I always thought that my brain is blowing up when I was yawning but now I know it's a special power that WE share. It may be that the ladies in our lives have given us plenty of practice at yawning but NOW we know the reason 😁.
                              Copyright Graham

Comment

Working...
                              X