Website update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website update

As a trustee I have been briefed that the MNDA is going to spend some money sorting out the back end of the website. It seems the look and feel will remain the same albeit eg pages will load faster and it will work better on eg mobile phones.

When this was raised I mentioned the angst here about losing lots of previous history and enquired whether what had been lost was recoverable and at least hoped that what we have now will not disappear.

This issue was received with some concern by members of the Management Team present who did not seem to know about the data loss and said they would bring this into the consideration of the specification of the new work.
    Warmly

Andy

โ€‹Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulderโ€“ Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

I hope they do. It would be nice to be remembered. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜Žxx
    Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜xx

Comment

Originally posted by nunhead_man View Post
      MNDA is going to spend some money sorting out the back end of the website. [...] it will work better on eg mobile phones.
      That was the reason given for the previous migration.

Originally posted by nunhead_man View Post
      This issue was received with some concern by members of the Management Team present who did not seem to know about the data loss and said they would bring this into the consideration of the specification of the new work.
      Disappointing. Frustrating.
      The concerned members of the "Management Team": were they involved in the decision and implementation of the migration to this version of vBulletin?

Thanks,
      Ellie.

โ€‹Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

โ€‹

Comment

Hi Andy and all,

Thanks for your comments.

The Forum which is a separate tool and not part of our website, has always been hosted on vBulletin. It would be useful to clarify what you mean by lost data please as we just upgraded the old version of the Forum to this new version, whilst staying on vBulletin.

As part of the data policy of the Forum, any member who does not login to the Forum (this does not mean they have to post) for one year is removed. When this happens, it means any post by that member does still appear but is under the account of โ€˜Guestโ€™. Before the upgrade we did carry out a check and removed some inactive members and we also removed threads dating back to around 2010 as a lot of the information shared was out of date. Could this be the 'lost data' you are referring too?

Many thanks,

Forum Admin
        Our working hours are Monday to Friday 8:30am until 5pm

Comment

As we are terminal with short life expectancy wouldn't a memorial section for perpetuity be possible?
          Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜xx

Comment

Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
            As we are terminal with short life expectancy wouldn't a memorial section for perpetuity be possible?
            Hi Matthew,

We could certainly look into this, it may fit within the Bereavement area and could be a thread where you can all share memories and comments on any members who are no longer with us.

Many thanks,

Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by Admin_MND View Post
              we also removed threads dating back to around 2010 as a lot of the information shared was out of date. Could this be the 'lost data' you are referring too?
              I would argue that "a lot of the information shared was out of date" is not accurate, some perhaps, as the bulk of the 2000+ plus posts of mine which were deleted dated back only 3-4yrs and much of the advice and information given, not only by me but by other members, is timeless and doesn't expire.

The very popular and informative 'Life with MND' sub-forum, for example, had its threads deleted up to January 2019, other popular threads are from 2017 and 2015, so I think you're being disingenuous quoting 2010 as a cutoff year.

Anyway, the horse has bolted on this issue now, so we can only hope that a future cull won't be as severe.

Love Ellie.

โ€‹

Comment

Hi MNDA Admin,

Please could you update this forum with the best predictive text available or minimum import the Facebook predictive text. It really is hard work using this laptop's Windows 11 'thing' and as a charity that exists to support people with MND, it should be a priority.
                Copyright Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                  Hi MNDA Admin,

Please could you update this forum with the best predictive text available or minimum import the Facebook predictive text. It really is hard work using this laptop's Windows 11 'thing' and as a charity that exists to support people with MND, it should be a priority.
                  Morning Graham,

As we have said previously the Forum is hosted on vBulletin and predictable text functionality is not something which they currently support. We have flagged your feedback with vBulletin before and if the functionality does become available we will add it. We have also looked at a few other Forum platforms and this feature doesn't seem to be supported by them either.

Meanwhile perhaps Ellie and other members can share tips around what they do as it sounds like they have got similar functionality working on the Forum and aren't having any issues.

Many thanks,

Forum Admin

Comment

Are you paying Ellie yet? You should be ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜œxx

Comment

Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
                      Are you paying Ellie yet? You should be ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜œxx
                      Absolutely, we try to repay her in kindness matthew55

Comment

As I have said previously, if the MNDA were serious about supporting people with MND, predictive text is a major boon for us with advanced MND.

Have you even asked Richard Cave, your part-time IT consultant? It may be open source?

FYI, Ellie uses high-end/expensive eye gaze.
                        Copyright Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                          FYI, Ellie uses high-end/expensive eye gaze.
                          UNTRUE. I use a Tobii 4C which cost ยฃ129 and free open source software and free native Windows eye control software.

Please check your facts before typing your misinformation.

โ€‹

Comment

matthew55
                            Originally posted by Admin_MND View Post

.......... could be a thread where you can all share memories and comments on any members who are no longer with us.
                            Wot and we would not be able to respond to comments made about us ??? Matthew how will you and I cope with that ????
                            Richard

Comment

That's s a little negative Richard. Personally after I've gone people can say what they want, I won't care. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿค—xx

Comment

Working...
                              X