Hi, just wanted to introduce myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself

Writing a post or whatever these things are called is all new to me so bear with me.

I am an active 60yrd bloke who thought he had years of active life left in him until I got the call. The one that starts "you need to come in and you need to bring your wife with you for support". What happened next took me to a place I wouldn't like to go again. I didn't appriciate the mental side of being told that you have a terminal illness.

Two weeks later I'm in a better place but only because I have the wonderful support of everyone around me.

I look forward to being an positive and active member of the MNDA group for as long as I can and to repay the suport of family and friends with a positive attitude for life.

Thanks for having me.

Hi Harry and welcome to the forum,

Most of us were in the same situation, looking forward to travelling etc. To almost accept it after a couple of weeks is very good going because you can then move forward.

It's hard to see that all go for you and more so, your wife.

Keep your friends close and involve them.

Please feel free to ask any questions or share things with us.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Hello and welcome HE (I’m guessing that’s not your real name but I apologise if it is).

Great to see you have a positive approach to your future and we welcome your contribution here. If you haven’t already been directed to a care team then I suggest you contact MND connect who will talk you through the process. Even if you are not at the stage of needing care it is useful to have the names of a speech therapist, dietician, physio etc.

We look forward to hearing from you again.

Best wishes,
      Barry
      I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Hi Harry and welcome to the Band of Brother, Sisters, other identifiers and non-identifiers hanging out on the Forum.

Sorry you've had the diagnosis.

Love Ellie.
        ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Many thanks for your messages of support,

Sorry, I should have signed off as Andy. When I recently joined the forum, it was suggested that I didn't use my name for privacy reasons thus I used harry enfield. The name comes from my motorbike. It's a Royal Enfield which I affectionately call Harry as in Harry Enfield.

I bought the bike new last year with a vision of retiring and enjoying the English countryside. At the moment, MND has only taken the strength out of one arm and the DVLA haven't taken away that vision yet, so I will enjoy whatever time I have with her.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Andy

Comment

Hi Andy,
            Welcome to this very friendly forum, lots of advice on here. Enjoy your bike, sounds great.
            Best wishes Sheila

Comment

Hello Andy
              I'm in similar circumstances recently diagnosed, for the first few weeks it all you can think about, it does ease a bit, once you accept it and more information becomes availble, the guys on here are full of advice and it's good that you can talk to those that know what you are going through. Don't bottle it up, ask these very helpful people,

Whilst you can, do the things you enjoy, my weekends are quite fully booked until April then I'm hoping to get as much golf in as I can in the warmer weather, even if I have to use Velcro straps to hold the clubs,
              You have the perfect excuse now to ride your bike when you want to do
              Shaun
              As long as there’s golf and beer I’m happy

Comment

Good morning Andy

Welcome from me too although of course you are in a place that you would rather not be.

My approach is to use of much as much as me as much as I can for as long as I can and use my local experts to find ways of doing that whilst always hoping for the best but planning for the worst.

Do use us to ask whatever questions you need to ask however seemingly simple or embarrassing
                Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND. MND hitting - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

Hi Andy,

I had a couple of 250 RE's but then grow up and had nearly 40 hondas.

Make the most of it, I dropped my CBR a couple of times when I stopped and couldn't get my feet down. I rode for a while after that but had to think about stopping.

Love Terry
                  TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Working...
                  X