• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Elvisfan
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2020

Hello

Hi I am newly diagnosed..am self isolating at home. I was a teaching assistant for special needs children..I wont be able to go back to my job as speech affected and it was becoming difficult...also have a weak arm now.. I hope soon when restrictions lesson that I can get to try some gentle swimming again and possibly some easier gym stuff as I'll be a lady of leisure!.
  • Hayls
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2019

Hello Elvisfan,
    I was a support worker for people with learning disabilities, my voice changed to the point it would unsettle them, I had to stop working, I totally understand

Comment

• Ellie
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2012

Hi Elvisfan.

Welcome to the Forum but sorry you've had to join us.

Have you banked your voice for future use or spoken to your Speech & Language Therapist (SLT) about it?

Stay safe.

Love Ellie.
      ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Peanut
        Forum Member
        • Apr 2020

Hello Elvisfan,

welcome fellow newbie! I hope you'll be able to go back to swimming again soon, and to explore the lady-of-leisure lifestyle.

cocktail.png

All the best,
        Peanut
        Attached Files

Comment

• Elvisfan
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2020

Hi ellie...yes we have banked my voice already.we got onto that straight away..

Comment

• Elvisfan
            Forum Member
            • Apr 2020

Hi Peanut..hope so thank you keep safe

Comment

• Lynne K
              Forum Member
              • Nov 2017

Hi Elvisfan, what a cool moniker How much of an Elvis fan are you? Have you traveled?

Welcome to our forums and sorry that you’ve had to join us on this horrid MND journey. But you sound very positive and that’s a very good way to be (seeing as being miserable doesn’t change anything and wastes our precious time).

I hope that you can be that lady of leisure later in the year. Take care, Lynne x
              ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Deb
                Forum Member
                • May 2018

Hi Elvisfan and a warm welcome to the forum from me.

I am so sorry for your diagnosis but I'm glad you've found the forum as it's a good place for friendship and support. I was a primary school teacher when I was diagnosed and I took early retirement because , like you, i didn't feel i could do my job properly with mobility problems even though the school would have been happy to help. I do miss being with the children but not the paperwork!

You sound like you have a really upbeat attitude so I really hope you enjoy being a lady of leisure. It's frustrating at the moment when we can't see people or get out to make the most of everyday. I am enjoy reading and not feeling guilty about downloading expensive books.

Take Care,
                Love Debbie x

Comment

• miranda
                  Forum Member
                  • Jan 2011

Welcome Elvisfan. A positive mental attitude seems to help in coping with the many aspects of MND but please don’t hesitate to ask questions - there’s a lot of knowledge and experience on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                  X