Lift chairs and hand controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lift chairs and hand controls

Do lift chairs have any good designs for really tall people who cannot use hand controls because of weak hands, and why the heck aren’t the extensions on lift chairs considerate of guys w long legs? Any ideas on how to extend so that ankles don’t hang over? Wish we could send our wish lists to chair developer engineers! Fritz created a chair so that he could sit at the dining table and still get up. Genius! Key to it was a clam type seat lift he set on a piece of plywood on the chair seat. The base was a big porch chair. He instructed his carpender friend to attach 2 2x4 boards under legs w construction glue for height and also extended arm rests upward and outward w a 2x6 board cut to sit on existing arm rests. Works like a charm

Betty

It sounds fabulous.

Any chance of a photo?

Doug

Comment

Hi Betty,

I know you can adapt a power wheelchair to operate with a knee control. Speak to the wheelchair service provider.

Barry
      I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

The clam lift is the key

Comment

Comment

Love this, very creative!

Comment

Many thanks for the super photos Betty.

Doug

Comment

i suppose they go with one size fits everyone. it looks really good. i suppose somethings you just have to adapt to suit which is great if you know what you are doing.

Comment

I love the creativity, Betty. Fritz sounds like a man after my own heart. I've spent my life modifying things to suit my purposes, sadly no longer able to do much. I modified my lawn edging shears earlier this year so I could use them with a weakened grip, although they were only useful for a few months. Now trying to make a DIYer out of my wife.
                  Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

He loves to take on challenges and the new lift chair has a lever type control that he is going to duct tape a popsicle stick to to create length. Gary he is known around here for forward out of the box thinking! Tell us about one of your creative solutions!
                    Denise the only way I transform things is by painting them w my art!
                    Doug, you are welcome! Thanks for asking
                    Tess I get strength from your posts❤️

Comment

Working...
                    X