Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

My name is Laurie, aged 74, diagnosed in June with bulbar onset MND. While the diagnosis was a shock, I was expecting something not very nice, as I started having problems (very, very slight) back around Feb 2019 and they'd been getting gradually worse. The frightening part to me was not knowing what exactly was going on (voice detriorating, swallowing difficulties, muscular weakness when standing) and whether anything could be done about it that wasn't being done due to delay in diagnosis. Investigations were held up by my breaking my hip on 23 Feb 2020 and having to cancel a key diagnostic appointment, shortly to be followed by lockdown. However, once my husband and I got over the initial shock of the diagnosis, we've both found that the anxiety that came from not-knowing has gone away. At least we can now plan and organise.

Welcome Laurie, sorry you've had to join us. As you say, bad as the diagnosis is, at least you know what it is and can start planning.

Hope the hip is fully healed.

I look forward to getting to know you.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Welcome Laurie, Sorry to meet you but happy that you've found us. 😊x

Comment

Hi Laurie,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of helpful and friendly advice here.
        Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

Welcome Laurie,

Thank you for joining the forum where I'm sure you'll find lots of help if you need it.

I trust we will hear more of you as time goes along
          Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND. MND hitting - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

Hi Laurie
            nice to meet you. There's lots of nice people here to share the good times and the bad.
            love and hugs
            Denise xxx

Comment

Why is my message unapproved again!!!

Comment

Hi Laurie
                nice to meet you. For some reason my first message stating that there are lovely people on here to share things with was unapproved. No idea Why?!
                xx

Comment

Hello and welcome Laurie.

Great that you and your husband can now get on and plan the future and many of us have experience in that regard so don’t be afraid to ask. Keep in touch and in the meantime best wishes.

Barry
                  I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Hello Laurie, I too was diagnosed in June 2020 with MND. (PMA) The diagnosis was a shock (I was expecting ME) My symptoms started in Feb 2019 and were getting worse, my crucial EMG appointment was due on 24th March but was cancelled on 23rd March because of lockdown. I can definitely relate to your feeling a sense of relief at knowing. I felt lifted and goal orientated to get lots of important things done. I send you strength, positivity and hope you have lots of support xx
                    I have the ability to cope with this and I can still be the best person I can be. This is my life - if I am happy others around me are happy too

Comment

Welcome Laurie x

Comment

A warm welcome to the forum Laurie,

I am sorry for your diagnosis but it's good you can plan ahead now. I hope you have help from the professionals with any adaptations you need.

I hope your hip is healing now.
                        Take Care,
                        Love Debbie x

Comment

Welcome Laurie. 👍

Comment

Working...
                          X