Close Relative - possible MND?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to add - BREAKTHROUGH!

I had a call from Dad, he asked me to help and has decided on his own he wants to see a neurologist, privately. And wants me to arrange the appointment. This is sadly because he's had an awful night of leg cramping and no sleep. He is fortunate he can afford this, at least for a first consultation, to see what they think.

Thank you to everyone on here who has commented and advised. I felt that I knew what to say to him when he rang because of all your kind words and support. Needless to say I've already rang and awaiting a call back to arrange the time and date. I would like to update you all of any diagnosis, if that's ok, even if it turns out to be a negative one as you have all been so helpful.

I am aware that it may take some time to get any diagnosis - so I will only pop in if we have any findings.

Good luck and may 'Your God go with you' as a certain someone used to say.....

Carer for Dad - MND (ALS) 22/4/21 and Mum Alzheimers 26/5/21.

Girding my loins and grinding my battle axe for them both... https://forum.mndassociation.org/cor...ilies/wink.png

Comment

Sorry that your dad had a bad night but it must be a relief of sorts that he is now prepared to go forward 🤞

Comment

You still have Hope, don't squander it. 👍x
        Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Thank you for the update. Its good your Dad has agreed to see a neurologist and I really hope you get some answers.

I wish you all the very best and I'd just like to add that your parents are fortunate to have such a caring and devoted son.

Love Debbie x

Comment

Originally posted by Bowler View Post
            Sorry that your dad had a bad night but it must be a relief of sorts that he is now prepared to go forward 🤞
            Thank you Bowler. It's unexpected that he has asked for help, it must have taken a lot for him to do this, I think he has got to the point where he knows he needs help now, in whatever form it takes.

Girding my loins and grinding my battle axe for them both... https://forum.mndassociation.org/cor...ilies/wink.png

Comment

Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
              You still have Hope, don't squander it. 👍x
              Thanks matthew55

I said something similar to him - that we don't know yet. Regardless of the outcome, he does need something, even if it's just better painkillers or some way of stopping night cramps so he can sleep.....

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
                Thank you for the update. Its good your Dad has agreed to see a neurologist and I really hope you get some answers.

I wish you all the very best and I'd just like to add that your parents are fortunate to have such a caring and devoted son.

Love Debbie x
                Your welcome and thanks Deb!

Just a couple of weeks before the appointment..... they are very busy....

LOL, you made me chuckle with your last comment, I know I am a tomboy, but no-one's called me that before.....

Comment

Hi everyone
                  my husband has been advised by SALT to bank his voice.
                  is this easy? X

Comment

Hi Just wanted add that from what I read on here I think some other conditions can appear like MND. And can be treated. So worth getting checked out. x

Comment

Originally posted by Pattyloo View Post
                      Hi everyone
                      my husband has been advised by SALT to bank his voice.
                      is this easy? X
                      Hello Pattyloo,

You will find the information about voice banking here. Many of us have done this so if you need further information please ask.

https://www.mndassociation.org/profe...nking-process/
                      I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Originally posted by Positive vibes View Post

Your welcome and thanks Deb!

Just a couple of weeks before the appointment..... they are very busy....

LOL, you made me chuckle with your last comment, I know I am a tomboy, but no-one's called me that before.....
                        So sorry... You're a wonderful daughter x

Comment

Originally posted by Gordan1111 View Post
                          Hi Just wanted add that from what I read on here I think some other conditions can appear like MND. And can be treated. So worth getting checked out. x
                          Thank you Gordan1111, that helps.

Comment

Hello all

Sorry its been a while, but, I didn't want to post with no new information.

Dad has seen the neurologist. His symptoms are slightly worse - right hand shaking on and off, voice slurring more noticeable, and he says he has to really think to piece together what he wants to say, and get it out.

Upshot is, he is having a test today, electro something, he isn't sure what and is very nervous. In fact, his anxiety is through the roof. Any idea what this could be? He didn't want anyone with him at consult and we probably wouldn't be allowed anyway because of restrictions. However I know he isn't feeling well enough as he asked me to drive him there and back.

Sorry for the short notice, but, I only found out today myself when he asked me.... any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance all!

Comment

It may be the one where they put in needles to check nerve endings. It doesn't hurt it's just an odd experience.
                              Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
                                It may be the one where they put in needles to check nerve endings. It doesn't hurt it's just an odd experience.
                                Thanks matthew55 - I will talk to him and reassure him. Sadly he hates hospitals, what with helping others with terminal cancer, etc. and other unfortunate stuff for family, and he has been really brave to face up to this now.

Comment

Working...
                                X