Father diagnosed and genetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Thank you Ellie, it's all raw at the minute and wrestling with thoughts on how my dad is going to deal with it and how to move on with a slight chance I may get it, hopefully things will ease and we can live as calmly as possible

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Hi Tecwyn and welcome to the Forum.

Sorry about your father's diagnosis.

No, not everyone gets locked in - the vast majority of us don't.

There is a very slim chance of a de novo genetic fault, but as 90-95% of all MND cases are sporadic and, if there's no familial history of MND, the overwhelming odds are that your dad is the unlucky 1 out of 300 people to get an MND.

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thank you for replies, I will be using this forum as a source of support to help my dad. I maybe need to put this genetic link at the back of my mind so as to be strong for my parents I think.

Leave a comment:

• Barry52
    replied
    Hello and welcome Tecwyn.

I’m sorry to hear about your father and I understand how you and your family must feel. Don’t rely on what you might read on google and the best source of information can be found on MNDA website although it can be difficult to navigate.

Unless your family has a history of MND then the likelihood of you getting it is so remote. Only around 10% of cases are familial.

You will find many answers to questions you may have from our forum family. Stay positive and encourage your dad to seek support from his health professionals.

Best wishes,
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• Lynne K
    replied
    Hi Tecwyn. Sorry about your father's diagnosis. There was conversation recently on here about genetics so if you put a search on posts you ought to find something to read. The other question I pass on. Lynne

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Father diagnosed and genetics

Father diagnosed and genetics

Hello to everyone here, pleased to meet you.

Unfortunately my father has recently been diagnosed and it's a big shock. I have a few questions if possible please and please excuse my ignorance and I sincerely don't mean to offend.

Does everyone with MND enter the "locked in" phase and if so how long can a person expect to live like this?

Can a sporadic case still be genetic as the faulty gene has to start somewhere so could it in effect start with my father then be passed on? With it being so rare I find it difficult to believe that all cases are not genetically linked somewhere. I wonder if there are many cases of a parent being diagnosed with sporadic then a son/daughter getting it?

Still in shock and things spinning round my head,

Best wishes to everyone here.
Working...
X