X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barry52
    replied
    Originally posted by SligoBoy View Post

We have yet to talk to any therapists so I'm not familiar with the equipment & apps needed. I take it that the voice banking is so that it can be used in place of a computerized voice synthesizer like that used by Steven Hawking?

Is the app based system any better than a hardware device that does the same thing?
    The app system is compatible with iOS and android devices and if you capture your voice by banking it then it feels more personal when using it. If your wife has lost her speech then often a family member who sounds similar can bank on her behalf. There are many bespoke voices and accents available with speech apps.

Leave a comment:

• SligoBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Barry52 View Post
    Hello and welcome SligoBoy.
    You mentioned about your wife’s speech and I like a few others on here have banked our voice. Initially I used an American based company called Modeltalker with a speech app named Predictable but I have recently changed to a UK based system as the app is more user friendly.
    We have yet to talk to any therapists so I'm not familiar with the equipment & apps needed. I take it that the voice banking is so that it can be used in place of a computerized voice synthesizer like that used by Steven Hawking?

Is the app based system any better than a hardware device that does the same thing?

Leave a comment:

• Barry52
    replied
    Originally posted by richard View Post
    Which company do you use Barry?

RICHARD
    Richard I now use Speakunique.

Leave a comment:

• richard
    replied
    Originally posted by Barry52 View Post

Initially I used an American based company called Modeltalker with a speech app named Predictable but I have recently changed to a UK based system as the app is more user friendly.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Which company do you use Barry?
    ​​​​​​​
    RICHARD

Leave a comment:

• Barry52
    replied

I’m sorry to hear that your wife has succumbed to this disease and as others have said you will find advice and support here. In your introduction you mentioned the foundation of the site so I offer you a history tour. The link below shows the foundation of a support group over 40 years ago. One of the founder members is still active in her role as Association Volunteer and committee member of the regional branch in Nottingham. I am proud to work with the committee along side of her. I consider myself fortunate to have a slow variant of MND which allows me to help others less fortunate. The Forum was introduced in 2010 and I think it is safe to say that users find it a lifeline from isolation.
    https://www.mndassociation.org/about...y/our-history/

You mentioned about your wife’s speech and I like a few others on here have banked our voice. Initially I used an American based company called Modeltalker with a speech app named Predictable but I have recently changed to a UK based system as the app is more user friendly.

Best wishes,
    ​​​​​​​Barry

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    Just concentrate on the good things. Bad things happen but shouldn't be considered. Stay Strong

Leave a comment:

• Bowler
    replied
    Originally posted by SligoBoy View Post

I had plans for my wife and I to go to Ireland and to revisit Wales in a year or two but I guess that's probably not going to happen now with my wife falling ill with ALS.
    MND/ ALS doesn’t always mean the end of travel dreams. We continued to drive to Spain for about 3 years after my wife’s diagnosis. If your wife wants to particularly go or do something and your funds allow I say go now and don’t worry about the medical people . They will still be there when you get back.

Leave a comment:

• SligoBoy
    replied
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words, advice, and friendly welcome. Glad this forum is here.

Leave a comment:

• SligoBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Ellie View Post
    I know your emotions are on a spin cycle right now, but it does calm down, or you kind of just get used to it...
    Thanks so much Ellie for sharing this part of your experience. It definitely helps knowing this.

Leave a comment:

• SligoBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Suefromwakey View Post
    Hello Sligoboy - you will, as Phil says, get plenty of info here.............its devastating isnt it, being a carer can be hard
    I'm at the very beginning of this journey Sue. The only care giving I've done so far has been on the emotional level. We just received the final diagnosis last week.

Her ability to speak is rapidly deteriorating. That is probably the cruelest of all the symptoms because she is a bubbly, outgoing person who likes to interact with everyone she meets. I've bragged to others that she (unlike me) could start up a conversation with a fence post, but ALS is slowly taking that ability away from her. It's heartbreaking and sad to witness.

Leave a comment:

• SligoBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Suefromwakey View Post
    Hello Sligoboy - you will, as Phil says, get plenty of info here.............its devastating isnt it, being a carer can be hard

I went to Sligo many years ago on a driving tour ...........loved that whole thing
    Sligo sounds nice. Wish I had visited there when I had the chance back in the very early 70's. I was in the American military and was stationed at an RAF base in England for 3 years. I drove all over England, Wales, Scotland, and most of the EU countries.... but I never made it to Ireland even though I'm of Scotts-Irish Ancestry. I had plans for my wife and I to go to Ireland and to revisit Wales in a year or two but I guess that's probably not going to happen now with my wife falling ill with ALS.

Leave a comment:

• SligoBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Bowler View Post
    Hi and welcome SligoBoy. Yep your heads are probably fairly mashed at the minute. It takes time to sort your thoughts out.You will always get support and help from this amazing bunch on here.

Hope you don’t mind me asking but do you know any if the West Life boys 😁 they were my wife’s fav band
    Can't help with the West Life Boys Bowler as I am not from Ireland or the UK (I did live in Oxfordshire though in the early 70's if that counts). I'm in the States. Guess I should have picked another name for my online ID. I'm a retired geologist and I often incorporate rock formation names into my online IDs. The "Sligo" in SligoBoy is an underground oil and gas bearing formation found in the southern US.

Last edited by SligoBoy; 19 April 2021, 03:35.

Leave a comment:

• Lynne K
    replied
    Hi SligoBoy, I’m sorry about your wife’s recent diagnosis and like others have said we know about the ton of bricks but they get lighter eventually. Take care and ask and/or share whatever you want or feel like. Lynne

Leave a comment:

• Heather R
    replied
    Hi Sligoboy, So sorry that your wife and you have been hit by this horrible disease. I do agree with the others that after the initial shock it felt a little easier to face in my experience, and do hope it's the same for you. Do hope also that you can still do some of the things you planned, and find some joys amongst all the challenges. and that you get lots of support. Love to you both

Leave a comment:

• Music man's wife
    replied
    Hello there. My hubby was diagnosed nearly three years. I really wish they didn’t describe MND as a terminal illness. I’m not saying life has been easy but we still went on holiday, days out etc. As much as we could physically manage.
    Hubby remains very positive and feels there’s still a lot he wants to achieve.
    Best wishes to you and your wife.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X