Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disturbing Dreams

Hello Everyone,

I was diagnosed with MND in October 2017, later confirmed as PMA mainly in lower limbs. My progress on the journey has been relatively slow compared to others and I generally cope quite well with the help of Rollator, Mobility Scooter and Stairlift. I do try to remain as positive as I can with lots of family support.

My sleep patterns have been broken for a long time due to toilet visit during the night. Recently, I have started to experience very upsetting dreams where I am out of control in circumstances that surround me. This can be when I am driving a car and the brakes don't seem to work or being lost and not able to find where I am going. The dreams do not end in a disasterous way but leave me exhausted when I wake up together with a feeling of anxiety. I have been under the sleep clinic in Leeds who say that my blood oxygen levels are good and my C02 levels are on the top side of normal.

I just wondered if this is related to my condition and if anyone has experienced similar symtoms?

Regards,

Derek

Sorry to hear about your bad tiring dreams. Could it be something you’ve eaten before bed, such as cheese? I don’t get bad dreams thankfully xx
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Dreams are created by our subconscious so if something impacts your waking life this can affect your dream. Unrelated to any condition. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx
      Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

Originally posted by Mowbray View Post
        I have been under the sleep clinic in Leeds who say that my blood oxygen levels are good and my C02 levels are on the top side of normal.
        Was that data from an overnight monitor Derek and, if it is, was it recent? If either answer is No, then it's best to do overnight monitoring (at home)

Apart from that, any new meds, change in dose or new trauma/stress may provoke disturbing dreams.

I hope you can find the reason and have more pleasant dreams. xx

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

I know my anxiety dreams always include a theme of me being lost....that's when I know it's time to relax and maybe try some mindfulness πŸ™‡πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ
          Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

I have quite vivid dreams and I think its when I'm dozing so not sleeping as deeply as I used to.

I can always walk in my dreams but in my bad dreams it'a struggle and I'm being chased ( no idea who by or why !) For me i think its related to how anxious I'm feeling.

I hope you find a way to have sweeter dreams Derek as sleep is so important 😴 xπŸ˜˜πŸ€—

Comment

I never dream even though it's a waking nightmare since diagnoses
              It's all funny

Comment

I don't seem to dream or I dont seem to recall them saying that I've had some terrifying dreams lately. I'm sure it's the upset and stress we're all going through mirroring itself into our dreams. Have you tried putting on some soothing music before or in bed or listening to books or drama on YouTube. It might sooth you a bit
                love and hugs
                Denise xxx
                when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

Thank you to everyone who responded to my Post fegarding dreams. I have had overnight checks done on sleep patterns that came back as normal. I do also read a little before going to sleep. I also always try to go to sleep feeling happy and in a positive frame of mind. Maybe, despite what we try to do, the underlying cause is the condition that we have is always lurking in our sub concience. It is nice to have the support of the MNDA family!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mowbray View Post
                    I also always try to go to sleep feeling happy and in a positive frame of mind.
                    What a lovely thing to do Derek πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜˜

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

Working...
                    X