Issues with liquid in the morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with liquid in the morning

My Mum currently is having end of life care at home as she nears the end of her MND illness, she is really struggling with fluid 1st thing in the morning with any liquid touching her mouth she is having a massive panic attack. The doctor has prescribed a sedative but we are wondering if this is a normal response as no one seems to know ?

Thank you for reading

Andrea

(Mum and younger sister both have genetic MND, sister died Dec 2020.)

Sorry to hear that Andrea. Could your mum get a drip for fluids or does she just want to slip away? Xx
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

AndiH So sorry to hear that your Mum is in the end of life stage Andrea.

Confusion and restlessness is to be expected, so the sedation should keep her calm.

Sending you love and strength at this time.

Ellie xx
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

AndiH
        Does your mom have a palliative care team supporting her at home.? They are usually the experts in end of life care and symptom control.Wondering if your mom has a PEG ? If so could she have fluids via the PEG?
        Your mom might be anxious about swallowing / breathing changes maybe …Sounds like her care team need to assess with your mom how to keep her hydrated and try and work out source of panic.Could your mom have a sore mouth?
        Really needs a professional assessment as no point sending your mom into a panic state every morning.
        Best wishes
        Mary

Comment

Should be on IV driver and upping dose. Surely palliative are there?
          Copyright Graham

Comment

Working...
          X