X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olivia H
    replied
    Welcome Sue
    It sounds like you have a lot to deal with but you are working your way through it all and you will always find wonderful support and advice on this forum.
    My previous Consultant has now retired, but advised from day one that, in her long experience, those who remained positive did so much better with this illness.
    All the best
    Olivia🙂

Leave a comment:

• Derbyram21
    replied
    Welcome 🤗 Fab people on here ☺️
    You have come to a warm friendly place. I've learnt a lot in a relatively short time
    Take it steady x

Leave a comment:

• Susie
    replied
    It goes under my arms, around my waist and under my legs too, but not under my bottom x

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by Susie View Post
    We had the sling too high, just needed to get it tucked further under me
    Oh that's good news Sue 👍👍

Does the sling go under your bottom too or just under your arms/around your torso? xx

Leave a comment:

• PeterPan
    replied
    Susie Welcome! You’ll get genuine support here from people who will be new friends soon. I echo what’s been said about attitude. Positive mental attitude and acceptance are so important in my view.

Leave a comment:

• Susie
    replied
    Yahoo, got the stand aid and sling cracked. We had the sling too high, just needed to get it tucked further under me 😊

Leave a comment:

• Susie
    replied
    Originally posted by Ellie View Post
    Sue, I guess you're using a standing hoist and sling?

Do you think any of these may explain your dangling dilemma? xx

Yes, well trying to. We have the correct coloured loops of the sling as instructed. The hoist hasn't been altered and the wheelchair isn't height adjustable.

I'm wondering if the sling needs to be pulled through a bit more between the legs. No idea really, it's a mystery. We almost got to give it another go today, but everytime we were about to try, sling in place, either the phone rang or a visitor dropped in so we gave up 🤣. We will give it a go tomorrow and if not successful my OT is back at work on Tuesday so I'll give her a call. Don't like to be defeated though.

Thanks for the advice 🤞xx

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Both feet kept lifting off the footplate and I was left dangling very uncomfortably.
    Sue, I guess you're using a standing hoist and sling?

I use a standing hoist and, from my experience, feet lifting off the footplate could be because:
    - The sling is in the wrong loop, hook or not on as it was on Thursday.
    - Your sitting position was too high to start with, so your feet were not firmly planted before you started standing.
    - The hoist is set up for a taller person. (But, given the hoist was used on Thursday without issue, this is unlikely, unless they were changed after use or weren't secure)

Do you think any of these may explain your dangling dilemma? xx

Leave a comment:

• EvelynMW
    replied
    About powered wheelcchairs. I recently made an extreemely small investment in Fredon One Life. They have completely redesigned a powered wheelchair, with a large battery, which is getting great reviews. Probably expensive, but worth looking at. I believe they said the battery lasts longer than in others
    https://freedomonelife.com/

Leave a comment:

• Susie
    replied
    Ellie, you're so right there.
    On Thursday OT brought me a Stand Assist to help with transfers. We managed to use it successfully while they were here. We felt elated and relieved. However on Friday we tried to use it to get me into the shower chair and failed miserably. Both feet kept lifting off the footplate and I was left dangling very uncomfortably. After several tries, we had to give up and go back to the handling belt and Mark physically lifting me from the wheelchair to the shower chair. We felt really down all day, which is unusual as we are normally very resilient and cheerful. Today we try again so fingers crossed, but no idea what we were doing wrong. 🤞🤞🤞

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    I’m really excited to be getting my powered wheelchair at the beginning of December
    Bet you never thought you'd say that Sue 😏😉🤗😘

Leave a comment:

• Susie
    replied
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I am getting lots of help from OT. They’re amazing, but we’re struggling to keep up with my mobility changes which seem to be happening quite rapidly over the last couple of months.
    I’m really excited to be getting my powered wheelchair at the beginning of December which will mean I can get a WAV which will make life so much easier as I can no longer transfer into our car.

Leave a comment:

• Rosemary6NT
    replied
    Susie Hi Sue, welcome. Sorry for your diagnosis. I’m fairly new here but it is a very friendly and informative group.

Leave a comment:

• Deb
    replied
    Hello Sue and a warm welcome to the forum from me.

I'm so sorry for your diagnosis but I'm glad you've found us as the forum is a good place for friendship and support. ( and we have laughs too !)

Its lovely to hear you are keeping your upbeat and positive attitude to life. I try to be happy and smiley too although i do allow myself the very occasional down day... usually a duvet day !!

Take care of yourself and I look forward to hearing from you again,
    Love Debbie x

Leave a comment:

• Gordan1111
    replied
    Welcome ie

Leave a comment:

Working...
X