Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supplements

Recently diagnosed , would like to discuss treatment strategies

Isabellelarne am sorry you have had to join us. Its a brilliant place for advice and support and also some fun when needed. I too am only recently diagnosed and haven't began any medication yet but with regards to supplements I take some magnesium tablets from holland and barrett. Not expensive and 1 a day. That's certainly made a difference to my cramp especially when had it before at night. Might be a coincidence but it eased within 2 weeks of being on them so am reluctant to stop them to find out. X

Comment

A warm welcome to the forum Isabelle. xx

Originally posted by Isabellelarne View Post
      ... would like to discuss treatment strategies
      Treatment - for any specific symptoms?
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Yes, treatment might depend on what the diagnosis is, the basis on which it was made, the type/cause of the MND and the symptoms or risks you wish to treat.

Clinicians commonly assert there is no treatment for MND. This can be misleading. What they mean is that there is no known cure for it, and that no repeated large scale studies have proven the effectiveness of a treatment beyond doubt. In the case of supplements (rather than pharmaceuticals) this is unsurprising, as there is not enough money to be made from selling them to fund several large-scale clinical trials over a number of years.

Is there evidence that has indicated some benefit from certain supplements, even if the tests have only been on animals or in vitro, if the methodology of the tests is considered to have some limitations, or if the successful results have not been distinctive enough to have reached a statistical confidence threshold (especially likely if the study is too small scale)? Yes.

The main evidence I have seen is with antioxidants/free radical scavengers. There is some evidence suggesting they can slow progression, but no one seems to have bothered testing them on a large scale. Turmeric/curcumin and melatonin (if your GP will prescribe it) are just two examples.

Comment

Working...
        X