Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Niv masks

Hi I'm hoping someone could recommend a less invasive Niv masks please

Which mask type are you currently using Leon - does it go from your chin to the bridge of your nose? xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Here are some masks Leon:

DreamWear nasal pillows.

image.png

DreamWear hybrid full-face.

image.png

Comment

My husband wears the dream wear nasal (the above one) and has been using this for almost 5 years. He finds it quite comfortable however he does get dryness around his nose and chin. Have tried others and the same thing happens. I just use moisturiser to help with this x

Comment

Can I ask if the dreamwear nasal pillows would work if you sleep with your mouth open?

Hubby has the dreamwear full face but doesn't like it so doesn't practice with his NIV. if the nasal pillows work with your mouth open ( i don't see how they could really) we will ask for one.
          Carer for husband diagnosed with ALS April 2021. Hand onset. PEG fed, completely immobile, communicates with eye gaze.

Respiratory and blood gases still within normal range.

No speech but sense of humour still fully intact.

Comment

Can’t see that it would work either, MMG x
            Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset. PEG and ventilator (mainly at night), and pretty poor speech, but legs still about functioning!

Comment

Originally posted by MMG View Post
              Can I ask if the dreamwear nasal pillows would work if you sleep with your mouth open?
              From personal experience, no.

Hubby has the dreamwear full face but doesn't like it
              What doesn't he like about it, maybe someone can suggest an alternative - not that there's much to 'like' about NIV masks... xx

Comment

Think he doesn't like the whole concept of NIV. It is something he is really resisting trying out. Don't know what he will decide when his respiratory function indicates that its time to get stuck into it.

Carer for husband diagnosed with ALS April 2021. Hand onset. PEG fed, completely immobile, communicates with eye gaze.

Respiratory and blood gases still within normal range.

No speech but sense of humour still fully intact.

Comment

Think he doesn't like the whole concept of NIV. It is something he is really resisting trying out. Don't know what he will decide when his respiratory function indicates that its time to get stuck into it.
                  He might change his mind once he feels a tangible benefit from using NIV 🤔 xx

Comment

Maybe the Philips Amara View...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp02l4r6Je8

It covers just the nostrils and mouth like the DreamWear hybrid full-face - but the head straps are less bulky because the tubing doesn't go via that route.

1c31103e32c94488be19a96800e8ab0b?wid=305&hei=173&$jpglarge$.jpg

Comment

I wear both the AmaraView (night) and its DreamWear equivalent for daytime use, the fact that the hose on the DreamWear is not to the front is a big plus, as it the lighter weight to the front, which can make a difference when one's neck is very weak.

I prefer the AmaraView for overnight use. xx

Comment

Working...
                      X