X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nunhead_man
    replied
    Good afternoon Happy Chappy

At least they did not call it. "man in a barrel syndrome" which is what I was told by one person who saw me when my left arm started to go!!!

Essentially, I believe what you have is arm onset motor neurone disease which ordinarily starts with the loss of the pinch grip between finger and thumb and gradually progresses to the loss of the function of the whole arm, leaving it "flailing around".

It may be, you are affected in one arm mainly or both, but either way, you have my sympathy in my reflection that in some ways, I would rather be losing my legs 1st and then my arms, but then of course I do not have that choice.

Please let us know how we can help you - I have got various fixes my weak left arm which may be of assistance to you

Warmly

Leave a comment:

• Lynne K
    replied
    Hi Happy Chappy. Welcome to our forums. I'm sorry about your new diagnosis. You must be less happy about that. But a great forum name. Keep smiling if you can. I don't know anything about flail arm syndrome. That's the first time I've heard of it. Take care. Lynne

Leave a comment:

• Terry
    replied
    Hi Happy Chappy and welcome to the forum,

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis, it does hit you and your family hard to say the least.

There are things that can help lift your arms and other things as well. As for reducing the the rate of progression, take riluzole, eat well, don't over use your muscles but keep them moving through their full range of movement once or twice a day even if you need help to do that.

I don't know your present situation etc, I guess that you will let us know as time goes on.

Please feel free to ask any questions or share things with us.

Best wishes, Terry

PS. It is probably a good idea to delete the other thread as it would save confusion.

Leave a comment:

• Gillette
    replied
    Hi Happy Chappy, welcome to the forum but sorry that you have the flail arm syndrome diagnosis. I'm afraid I know nothing about FAS. However, it's likely that someone who does know about it will be along soon.

Leave a comment:

• Happy chappy
    started a topic Flail arm

Flail arm

Hi everyone ...I have just been diagnosed with flail arm mnd and was wondering if anyone has any helpful tips so as to make life a bit easier please. Also any suggestions how to keep your strength as getting weaker daily ....thanks
Working...
X