Portable travel suction machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable travel suction machine

Hi everyone this is my first post on here. My husband was diagnosed in February with progressive bulbar palsy. We are taking things day by day and getting the most out of every minute. We have a villa in Spain and we are planning on going next month. Rob has extreme saliva which none of the medication is getting under control but the suction machine helps. Has anyone travelled or used any sort of portable suction machine and if so what was it and did it work?

A warm welcome to the forum, Heidi, sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis.

Good for both of you, escaping some dreary winter weather!

I presume your husband uses a suction machine at home - is there some reason why he can't bring that one to Spain?

Medical equipment should be carried free of charge by the airline.

Love Ellie xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi Heidi
      welcome to the forum. Nice to meet you.

I cant comment on the suction machine but ellie knows her stuff.

Hugs to you both
      Denise xxx
      when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

Hi Ellie and Denise

He does have one that we will bring but he could do with something to use at the airport and on the plane. I've seen some hand held ones that work by being pumped nit sure how good they work. I didn't know if there may a small one that is powered by battery. I wondered if someone has used anything like this and did it work. Thanks all

Comment

My husbands suction unit was electric but included a battery fall back which lasted around 8 hours. It wasn't exactly compact and wasn't light, but it went everywhere with us, although we didn't fly anywhere.

It could have COVID implications as I think its classed as an aerosol device. it certainly was in the outpatients department at hospital. You would have to check if it would be allowed on board.

Good luck, hope you do get the chance to get away. x
          Carer for husband diagnosed with ALS April 2021. Hand onset. PEG fed, completely immobile, communicated with eye gaze

Sense of humour intact throughout.

Sadly passed away peacefully 2/9/22

Comment

Originally posted by HeidiA View Post
            I've seen some hand held ones that work by being pumped nit sure how good they work.
            Check that those hand held suction pumps you saw are suitable for oral suctioning, not just for traches. If it is suitable for oral suctioning, it won't be nearly as powerful as his home machine, so may not be as effective. Try it out at home first, not at 30,000 feet!

Open suctioning of the respiratory tract is not an aerosol generating procedure but that's not saying an airline will search through user manuals and give you the go ahead to use a suction machine in-flight; some airlines have a blanket ban on all equipment, others don't, so you need to check individual airlines. xx

Comment

Yes have looked into one and it is suitable for oral but as you say will be nowhere near as powerful but even if he could use it whilst at airport and maybe on plane it may help him a bit. I have ordered one as you say not trying it out the first time in the air lol

He is so positive and wants to do this trip so even though I have my own trepidations if he feels he can do it and wants to we need to go for it while we can. Seize every moment as they say.

Comment

My dad brought a hand pump suction machine from on the Internet (a cheap plastic thing made in China) and it helps him more with the thick mucus than the one the physio provided as it has a thin tube that goes down the back of his throat. Not sure if your husband has thick, thin or both sorts of excess secretions. Hope you enjoy you're break away when you get to it x

Comment

Hi I went ahead and bought one on amazon which was @ £25. Its worked for Rob travelling and waiting at hospital appointments. We even went out for the first time in months with some friends for a drive and a coffee 🤗 He's got a bit of respite if we go out. I'm not sure if it would help all warriors but it's helped mine 🥰 Sending love and hugs xo

Comment

HeidiA That's a win, Heidi, so great that just £25 can make such a difference! xx

Comment

Working...
                    X